Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Zayn's Best Moments with One Direction
- The Style Top 5: Amal Clooney Brings Her Glam Street Style to NYC, Iggy Azalea Gets Candid About Her Body and More
- Spring Cleaning Tips from Interior Designer Nate Berkus
- VIDEO: Fear the Walking Dead: Los Angeles Is Hit with a 'Strange Virus' in First Promo
- The Walking Dead Finale Recap: Keeping the Wolves from the Door
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 28, 2010
- Vol. 73
- No. 25
WHITE HOUSE APPLE PIE
The chef whom President Obama refers to as 'the crust master' shares a dessert recipe straight from the kitchen at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
APPLE PIE FILLING
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/3 cup cornstarch
• 3 lbs. apples (use a mix of Honeycrisp, Gala, Granny Smith or McIntosh, peeled, cored and cut into half-inch wedges)
• ½ cup honey, preferably local
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
• ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
• grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 1 egg white
1. In a large saucepan, sift together sugar and cornstarch, then toss with apples, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, lemon juice and zest. Let stand for 20 minutes.
2. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until it thickens slightly, making sure fruit doesn't stick to bottom of pan. Remove from heat, let cool before pouring into prebaked pie shell. Top with piecrust dough and seal to bottom crust with egg white.
3. Puncture top dough in a circle (about 10 times) with the tip of a knife to form steam vents. Bake for 30 to 40 min. or until filling is bubbling and crust is golden brown.
To find the recipe for Yosses' piecrust go to people.com/applepie
4TH OF JULY PARTY PLAN
Tips from the Real Housewives of New York City star and real-life event planner
"I took mini cupcakes and assembled them into this flag," says Gilbert. "They're the perfect dessert to serve without plates."
Mini Cupcakes, 50 for $37.50; bakedbymelissa.com
LET IT SNOW
"I pour Midori [melon liqueur] on top of old-school snow cones," she says. "You can nibble and drink them."
Snow Cone Maker, $39.99; target.com
SHOOT TO THRILL
"I run around squirting condiments on people's hot dogs," she says of this ketchup and mustard dispenser.
Condiment Gun, $28; mxyplyzyk.com
"People have fun with signature cocktails," says Gilbert. "This punch is great for large groups-it's self-serve!"
Makes about 16 cups
• 4 cups tequila, chilled
• 4 cups ruby red grapefruit juice, chilled
• 2 cups lime juice, chilled
• 2 cups Campari, chilled
• 1 cup orange liqueur
• 1 ½ cups agave nectar
• 2 cups club soda or sparkling water, chilled
• 1 pint sliced strawberries or whole raspberries for garnish
Combine all ingredients in a punch bowl, then garnish with berries. Serve over ice.
Feel like traveling this Fourth of July? Four experts pick some fave U.S.A. destinations
The 300 "gingerbread cottages" located in the Oak Bluffs area of this Massachusetts island "make a quaint, vibrantly colored community," says Travel Channel host Samantha Brown (inset). Many of the houses (dubbed with names like "Wooden Valentine") are available for rent year-round.
The first town in the first state is also "where the Delaware Bay and the Atlantic Ocean meet, which means there are beaches and fishing galore," says Patricia Schultz (inset), author of 1000 Places to See Before You Die.
BIG BEND, TEXAS
Visit this national park for its "exquisite mountains," says Ken Burns (inset), who coproduced the PBS series The National Parks: America's Best Idea. "The indescribable beauty makes you feel alone with nature."
Located in San Simeon, Calif., this 1920s palace built by media mogul William Randolph Hearst is a haven for "Renaissance-era monuments brought over from Europe," says Jamie Jensen (inset), author of Road Trip USA.
- CONTRIBUTORS Antoinette Y. Coulton,
- Suzanne Zuckerman.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!