Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kelly Rutherford Granted Sole Custody of Her 2 Children
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Patrick Dempsey: 'I'm Not Retiring from Acting'
- A Beautiful Mind Mathematician John Nash and His Wife Killed in Taxi Crash: Reports
- Sandra Lee Gives Cancer Update from the Hospital: 'I've Lost 15 Lbs. in 5 Days'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 13, 2010
- Vol. 74
- No. 8
He Helps Injured Soldiers Write On
Blogging from Iraq allowed Army Major Chuck Ziegenfuss to let off steam during his deployment. (My wife, Carren, he wrote in a post, "doesn't need to listen to me ranting from 12,000 miles away.") But soon after he started in 2005, Ziegenfuss was hit by an improvised bomb. He awoke in a hospital with skin missing from his arms, nerve damage and his left pinky gone. "My wife had to brush my teeth," says Ziegenfuss, who would undergo 37 surgeries. But the hardest part was not being able to write as he recovered. That's when a nonprofit, Soldiers' Angels, arranged to get him a laptop with voice-recognition software. "Now I had the ability to interact with the world," says Ziegenfuss, who blogs at tcoverride.blogspot.com and plans to redeploy later this year. He felt others should have the same chance to express themselves and in 2005 worked with Soldiers' Angels to form Valour-IT, which has since donated laptops to 5,000 wounded troops. "It was more than a piece of equipment," says one recipient, J.R. Salzman, 31, an Iraq vet who lost an arm and use of his other hand and now blogs. "It was a lifeline."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!