Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday December 19, 2014 12:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 04, 2010
- Vol. 74
- No. 11
FAVORITE PASTA DISH
The Late Night host shares a recipe he got from a pal-Boston-based chef Michael Schlow
PENNE WITH PANCETTA, ONION AND TOMATO
8 oz. penne
¼ cup olive oil
1 small garlic clove, sliced thin
½ cup diced pancetta or bacon, cooked but not drained
½ cup thin sliced onion 1 pinch chopped fresh rosemary
2 large pinches Kosher salt Fresh pepper, 2 grinds
1 pinch crushed red pepper
2 ½ cups crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp. butter
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large saute pan. Add garlic and saute until golden. Add pancetta (or bacon) along with its juices and onions. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until onions are soft. Add rosemary, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper and stir for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and simmer for 6-7 minutes. Swirl butter into sauce.
3. Add drained pasta to sauce and cook over low heat for 2 minutes or until sauce is slightly absorbed by the pasta.
4. Sprinkle in parsley and cheese. Toss together and serve.
Schlow owns Boston's Via Matta eatery and his cookbook "It's About Time" is in stores now.
Oval Office Designer Michael S Smith
MY FAVORITE THINGS
The man behind the recent redesign of President Obama's workspace shares some furnishings he loves
Nate Berkus Studio Sofa, $499.90; hsn.com
1 PERFECT FIT
"Small-scale sofas are really useful," says Smith. "I place them under windows."
Pewabic Pottery Snowdrop Vase (left), $100; Arts and Crafts Bud Vase, $75; store .metmuseum.org
2 RUSTIC TOUCH
Smith suggests using this ottoman as a coffee table in a "small, uncrowded room." Wicker Ottoman, $129; crateand barrel.com
3 FLOWER POWER
"Rich green bud vases add that little punch of color wherever you want it," says Smith.
4 SWEET PILLOW
"This is super charming, with that classic American look," he says. Chandler 4 Corners Sit Pillow, $77; folkartmuseum.org
Smith's Decorating Tips
1. Paint the ceiling of a room pale blue to create the effect of sky.
2. Buy simple, comfortable upholstered furniture in classic shapes. When in doubt, cover in plain natural linen; it's more flexible.
3. Don't be afraid of simple striped or textured wallpapers. They give even the most uninteresting rooms weight.
GREAT FALL ROAD TRIPS
'There's no better way to see America than a road trip,' says Lonely Planet editor Robert Reid, who suggests three 'must-do' routes
What makes it great: This drive along the California coastline is "remarkably beautiful," says Reid.
Must-see stop: Big Sur's cliffs are the heart of the drive. "It's a miracle a highway exists here," he says.
What makes it great: Not only is this route-which stretches from Washington, D.C., to Sacramento-free of all the billboards that dot the more famous Route 66, "it crosses deserts in Nevada that look like Mars," says Reid.
Must-see stop: The historic frontier town of Dodge City, Kans., is the "kind of place where the Wild West was won," says Reid.
FOLLOWING THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER
What makes it great: "It goes through a lot of different sites of Americana," he says. "You can drive along the river from its origins in Minnesota all the way down through Mississippi and Louisiana."
Must-see stop: Dubuque, Iowa, is a picturesque and historic river town. "It's one of my favorite places," says Reid.
COOL TRAVEL BAGS
JENNIFER MICHAELS, FOUNDER OF FAMILYTRAVELPLANET.COM, PICKS SOME FAVE BACKPACKS
REI Flash 65 Pack "You can pack a lot into it," says Michaels. $169; rei.com
JanSport Driver 8 Roller Backpack "My kids even used it in the snow!" she says. $94.95; bagking.com
FOR DAILY LIFE
Eagle Creek Cicada 22L Daypack "So many compartments!" $120; ebags.com
- CONTRIBUTORS Liza Hamm,
- Thailan Pham,
- Suzanne Zuckerman,
- with Antoinette Y. Coulton,
- Rachel Lauder,
- Cynthia Wang.
December 19, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!