Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Find Out What Joe Jonas Has to Say About Exes Taylor, Demi and Gigi on WWHL's Plead the Fifth!
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Melanie Griffith on Being 'Introspective' and 'Totally Curious' About Her New Path in Life
- Oprah Winfrey, Kelly Clarkson, Kerry Washington and More React to Hillary Clinton's Nomination on Twitter
- Pretty Little Liars Star Troian Bellisario Doesn't Want Any Part of the Taylor vs. Kim Feud: 'I Would Choose the Green Party'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 13, 2010
- Vol. 74
- No. 22
Leslie Nielsen 1926-2010
Serious? Surely Not. In Movies Like Airplane! and The Naked Gun, the Straight Arrow from Saskatchewan Found Stardom as the Undisputed King of Spoofs
And he savored every second of it. Nielsen, who died of pneumonia on Nov. 28 at age 84, was in his 50s when he found his true calling in Hollywood-using his distinguished looks and commanding voice not for drama but for deadpan silliness. "Leslie loved to make people laugh," says one of Abrahams' producing partners, Jerry Zucker. "Being goofy made him happy, and in turn he made us all happy."
The son of a Royal Canadian Mountie in Saskatchewan, Nielsen developed his love of pranks early. "When my father was upset, you'd want to make him laugh," he told the BBC in May. "When he didn't, you were in trouble."
Around 1954, Nielsen moved to Los Angeles to make his first of over 65 movies, including 1972's The Poseidon Adventure. But it wasn't until 1980's disaster spoof Airplane! that Nielsen, as a doctor, got to show his comedy chops. Two years later he earned an Emmy nod for ABC's Police Squad!, a cop-show parody that led to three Naked Gun films. "He was forever young at heart," says costar Priscilla Presley. "He made coming to work so much fun."
Offscreen, Nielsen enjoyed golf, traveling and spending time in Florida with his fourth wife Barbaree, 62, and his two daughters from a previous marriage. "Leslie was so appreciative," says Abrahams "of the life he had."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!