Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- FROM TIME: Former House Speaker Dennis Hastert Paid to Hush Up Sexual Misconduct, Reports Say
- The Style Top 5: Taylor Swift Goes Wedding Dress Shopping (For Her BFF),
Celebs' Share Their Makeup-Free Selfies and More
- Quelle Horreur! Paris Removing Nearly 1 Million 'Love Locks' from Famous Bridge
- DC Mansion Murders: Who Was Slain Housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa?
- A Playmate for Bentley! Teen Mom OG's Maci Bookout Gives Birth to 'Beautiful' Daughter
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 13, 2010
- Vol. 74
- No. 22
Leslie Nielsen 1926-2010
Serious? Surely Not. In Movies Like Airplane! and The Naked Gun, the Straight Arrow from Saskatchewan Found Stardom as the Undisputed King of Spoofs
And he savored every second of it. Nielsen, who died of pneumonia on Nov. 28 at age 84, was in his 50s when he found his true calling in Hollywood-using his distinguished looks and commanding voice not for drama but for deadpan silliness. "Leslie loved to make people laugh," says one of Abrahams' producing partners, Jerry Zucker. "Being goofy made him happy, and in turn he made us all happy."
The son of a Royal Canadian Mountie in Saskatchewan, Nielsen developed his love of pranks early. "When my father was upset, you'd want to make him laugh," he told the BBC in May. "When he didn't, you were in trouble."
Around 1954, Nielsen moved to Los Angeles to make his first of over 65 movies, including 1972's The Poseidon Adventure. But it wasn't until 1980's disaster spoof Airplane! that Nielsen, as a doctor, got to show his comedy chops. Two years later he earned an Emmy nod for ABC's Police Squad!, a cop-show parody that led to three Naked Gun films. "He was forever young at heart," says costar Priscilla Presley. "He made coming to work so much fun."
Offscreen, Nielsen enjoyed golf, traveling and spending time in Florida with his fourth wife Barbaree, 62, and his two daughters from a previous marriage. "Leslie was so appreciative," says Abrahams "of the life he had."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!