Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Fitness Trainers Gain 60 Lbs. and Drop it Again to Demonstrate How Hard it Is to Lose Weight
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- WATCH: Dancing with the Stars Champion Nyle DiMarco Strips Down for Chippendales Gig
- Anthony Weiner's Third Sexting Strike Cost Him More Than Just His Wife – He Also Got Fired
- After Car Crash, Colorado Father Allegedly Tells Cops, 'I Was Trying to Kill My Son'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 31, 2011
- Vol. 75
- No. 4
After Tragedy, Five Moms Rebuild
ELLEN KNELL, 54
KELLY YEATES, 42
ALICE PENNELS, 57
CINDY BLOUNT, 59
Park City, Utah
One by one, five Park City mothers were struck by heartbreak. First Alice Pennels' son Mike, 19, died in his sleep of unknown causes in February 2008. Then, in April, Cindy Blount's daughter Connie, 18, was killed in a hit-and-run. By fall three more young people in the small town of 8,000 lost their lives: Kaye Knoop's son Matt, 20, was hit by a car; Kelly Yeates' son Chris, 18, fell to his death while hiking; and Ellen Knell's daughter Erica, 17, died in a car accident. "We all felt so alone," says Knell, who wrote to the other moms, asking to meet. "Pulling together was exactly what we needed."
To honor their children, the mothers started the Park City 5 (parkcity5.com), a nonprofit dedicated to building schools for needy kids around the world. With $80,000 raised through 5K races and golf tournaments, they opened their first school in Ecuador in 2009 and began work on a school in Bolivia last year. "None of us wanted our kids to be forgotten," says Knoop. "Through our work, we know that their legacy will be carried on."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!