Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kim and Rob Kardashian Send Loving Messages to Bruce Jenner
- The Style Top 5: Gigi Hadid Shares Her Beauty Don'ts, Blake Lively's Million Dollar Style Week and More
- Laverne Cox Congratulates Bruce Jenner: 'It Is Always Brave to Stand in One's Truth'
- Mark Wahlberg Makes a $250,000 Bet with Diddy on the Mayweather vs. Pacquaio Fight
- It's a Girl for Owain Yeoman
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 24, 2011
- Vol. 75
- No. 3
A Meal (and a Job) for the Homeless
Lisa Nigro knows how it feels to be at the bottom. Raised in poverty by her drug-and alcohol-addicted mother, "People didn't have hopes for me," she says. Determined to overcome her obstacles, she went on to become a police officer on Chicago's west side, yet never forgot her tough start in life. "People with money or power looked down on the poor and uneducated," she says. "So I wanted to even the playing field."
After quitting her job, she began handing out sandwiches to the homeless from her nephew's red wagon. She raised $30,000 through bake sales and chili cook-offs and opened Inspiration Cafe (www.inspirationcorp.org), a restaurant in Chicago's Uptown neighborhood where volunteers serve free meals to the poor and homeless. Through her nonprofit, since 1991 Nigro has also provided subsidized housing, counseling or job training in restaurant skills for 15,000 homeless people. For Kimberlee Jackson, 32, a hand up-not a handout-was all she needed to get off the streets. After Jackson completed Nigro's training program, she got a job, rented an apartment and now goes to college. "When I was homeless, I didn't feel like I could accomplish anything," she says. "Now I can overcome all obstacles."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!