Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Ozzy Osbourne's Ex-Mistress Michelle Pugh and His Daughter Kelly Reach Settlement
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Jessica Biel Eats in the Shower and Thinks You Should Too
- Why You Shouldn't Panic About This Year's 'Clown Panic'
- DWTS's Wild New Theme: Find Out Which Stars Are Channeling the Beatles and Who's Paying Homage to Michael Jackson
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 11, 2011
- Vol. 75
- No. 14
Brain Bank Secrets: Searching for Clues
A Former NFL Star Left a Dying Wish: That Scientists Study His Brain to See the Effects of Repeated Concussions During His Years on the Football Field
What is Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)?
It's the progressive death of brain cells following blows to the head, leading to memory loss, depression and dementia. The only test for it: Examine the brain postmortem for a toxic protein, TAU, that indicates swaths of dead areas.
What have you discovered?
We've studied football players, hockey players, boxers-in all but one there is CTE. Several hadn't played professionally, in others a concussion hadn't been diagnosed. Damage still exists. [Duerson's results are not yet in.]
Is enough being done to protect players?
No. But NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is taking a stand against direct hits and is to be commended for it.
Would you allow your child to play football?
My son played college football. My daughter played high school ice hockey. It was hard to watch. But they were lucky-they weren't hurt.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!