Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,185 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Jessie J Is Out of the Hospital and Back on Stage: 'Still Fragile But Much Better'
- Read the Cover Story: Growing Up Kennedy!
Exclusive Family Photos from White House Nanny
- Bobby Brown Struggles Through Concert, Forgets Lyrics: 'I Am in a Different Zone Right Now'
- Paris Hilton: Sister Nicky and Her Fiancé Are the 'Perfect Couple'
- RHOA's Claudia Jordan on Reports She Was Fired Amidst NeNe Leakes Drama: 'We'll See What Happens'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 11, 2011
- Vol. 75
- No. 14
Brain Bank Secrets: Searching for Clues
A Former NFL Star Left a Dying Wish: That Scientists Study His Brain to See the Effects of Repeated Concussions During His Years on the Football Field
What is Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)?
It's the progressive death of brain cells following blows to the head, leading to memory loss, depression and dementia. The only test for it: Examine the brain postmortem for a toxic protein, TAU, that indicates swaths of dead areas.
What have you discovered?
We've studied football players, hockey players, boxers-in all but one there is CTE. Several hadn't played professionally, in others a concussion hadn't been diagnosed. Damage still exists. [Duerson's results are not yet in.]
Is enough being done to protect players?
No. But NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is taking a stand against direct hits and is to be commended for it.
Would you allow your child to play football?
My son played college football. My daughter played high school ice hockey. It was hard to watch. But they were lucky-they weren't hurt.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!