Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- The Star Wars-Entourage Mashup You Never Knew You Needed in Your Life
- Read the Cover Story: Jill and Derick Dillard Share Their Baby Boy's Dramatic Arrival
- Olivia Munn Teases Her X-Men: Apocalypse Costume: 'If the Latex Fits …'
- Horror in South Carolina: A Killing Caught on Video
- Mary J. Blige: Sam Smith Is 'My Little Brother'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 28, 2011
- Vol. 75
- No. 12
Mildred Pierce's Fashion: '30s & Fabulous!
Move Over, Joan Crawford: Kate Winslet Tackles One of the Movie Legend's Classic Roles, as a Depression-Era Mother, in An HBO Miniseries Premiering March 27
LIFE'S A BEACH
"The design of the cardigan was typical for the time period," says costume designer Ann Roth of the outfit Mildred wears during a beach stroll (filmed on Long Island). "We crocheted it for Kate."
THE "SAD" BROWN DRESS
Roth created a drab frock from distressed 1930s fabric for Mildred to wear as she struggles to find work in the Depression. "Such a sad dress," says director Todd Haynes.
Winslet "loved this dress," says Haynes of a gold lame gown for a concert scene. But it was so delicate, says Roth, "the wardrobe people kept stitching it back together."
DRESSING THE PROBLEM CHILD
More faithful to the original James M. Cain novel than the 1945 Joan Crawford movie, HBO's Pierce is the story of single mother Mildred's attempts to please her selfish daughter Veda (Evan Rachel Wood). Says Roth of Wood: "She could wear Venetian blinds and look lovely."
April 16, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!