Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: First Lady Michelle Obama Says She's 'Straight Up Nailing' Her Job on Resume in College Humor Skit
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Refugee Killed by California Police Allegedly Drew Vape Device During 'Mental Emergency'
- Golden Girls Kim and Kourtney Kardashian Wow In Second Barely-There Balmain Outfits
- Blac Chyna Says She Posted Rob Kardashian's Phone Number on Twitter to Stop Him Texting Other Women
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 18, 2011
- Vol. 75
- No. 15
A Second Chance for Moms in Need
As a nurse in African refugee camps, Martha Ryan thought she'd seen it all. But returning to San Francisco in 1985, she was shocked to see women and children on the streets-a grim sign of the spike in the nation's homeless population. Ryan asked a pregnant woman if she was under a doctor's care, and her heart broke at the answer. "I can't worry about the baby in my belly," Ryan recalls her saying. "I'm worried about the kids I've got."
The exchange gave Ryan her life's mission. "Pregnancy," she remembers thinking, "is an amazing opportunity to help a woman turn her life around." And so was born the Homeless Prenatal Program (homelessprenatal.org), the nonprofit Ryan started in 1989 as a clinic in a homeless shelter. As homeless and needy women flocked there, the program offered services ranging from help with regular medical care and job training to substance-abuse and mental-health counseling.
Today, in a three-story building, with 200 volunteers and 68 employees, she has helped more than 2,000 women deliver healthy babies. One is Laura Close, 30, homeless and drug-addicted five years ago and now a college student raising Nathan, a lively 4-year-old. "Martha saved my life and my son's," Close says. "I don't want to think where we'd be without her."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAGCOM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!