Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kerry Washington Teases President Obama's 'Funny' Side Ahead of Last White House Correspondents' Dinner, as She Joins Scandal Stars at Event in D.C.
- Read the Cover Story: Prince, 1958-2016
- FROM EW: Drake Releases New Album Views
- Anti-Trump Protest Intensifies in Orange County as Roads are Blocked, Police Window Smashed
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Have Lunch with His Parents in Australia
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 02, 2011
- Vol. 75
- No. 17
Meet Sparky: A School's Best Friend
Twice Rejected Because He's Deaf, a Lovable Dachshund Finally Finds a Home in Missouri with Kids Just Like Him
Then she had an idea. The dog was perfectly suited to a program at a state prison where inmates give rescue animals special training meant to make them better pets. Using American Sign Language, inmates taught the dog basic commands-sit, stay, lie down-then wrote to the Missouri School for the Deaf in Fulton, Mo., hoping for a home. "He's an adorable, people-loving, 1-year-old, crystal-blue-eyed miniature dachshund," wrote the inmates. For school superintendent Barbara Garrison, "It was a no-brainer." Students instantly took to the dog, naming him Sparky and begging him to sit on their laps and sleep in their rooms. With a pet back home who answers only to voice commands, Catherine Slinkard, 16, says, "it was pretty cool to have a dog that would listen." Adds Michael Miller, 18: "He's just like us."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!