- Former Secret Service Agent Clint Hill Reveals Why JFK Didn't Want Jackie Kennedy Photographed in a Bikini
- Read the Cover Story: Prince, 1958-2016
- New Mom Ginger Zee on How DWTS Has Changed Her Body: 'I'm Really Happy'
- Alex Guarnaschelli Blogs: My Meringue Kisses and Lemon Sherbet Are an Unbeatable Dessert Combo
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- May 30, 2011
- Vol. 75
- No. 21
Once Hungry, She Now Feeds Others
It's been 25 years, but Anna Chan is still haunted by the memories of standing in food lines. Raised by a single mom in Hayward, Calif., who worked part-time delivering newspapers, Chan and her sister spent more than a decade subsisting on canned goods, fruit punch and other handouts from the Salvation Army and local churches. "My daily meal was usually out of a can," she says. "A bowl of fresh fruit was considered a luxury."
Chan couldn't help but think of those hungry years while driving around her neighborhood 45 miles east of San Francisco three years ago. Shocked to discover oranges, lemons and apricots rotting in her neighbors' yards, the stay-at-home mom vowed to collect the fruit and donate it to people in need. Since then, Chan-known locally as the Lemon Lady (thelemonlady.blogspot.org)-and a dozen volunteers have harvested 250 tons of fruits and vegetables, valued at $600,000, donated by neighbors and nearby farmers. Clocking more than 40 hours a week, she picks up the produce at all hours of the day and drops it off at food banks-with her daughter Ava, 4, often in tow. "Anna allows us to have food we could never afford," says Kathy Walters, 66, a regular at Share Food Pantry in Concord, Calif. "She has absolutely saved us."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!