Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: First Lady Michelle Obama Says She's 'Straight Up Nailing' Her Job on Resume in College Humor Skit
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Refugee Killed by California Police Allegedly Drew Vape Device During 'Mental Emergency'
- Golden Girls Kim and Kourtney Kardashian Wow In Second Barely-There Balmain Outfits
- Blac Chyna Says She Posted Rob Kardashian's Phone Number on Twitter to Stop Him Texting Other Women
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 30, 2011
- Vol. 75
- No. 21
Once Hungry, She Now Feeds Others
It's been 25 years, but Anna Chan is still haunted by the memories of standing in food lines. Raised by a single mom in Hayward, Calif., who worked part-time delivering newspapers, Chan and her sister spent more than a decade subsisting on canned goods, fruit punch and other handouts from the Salvation Army and local churches. "My daily meal was usually out of a can," she says. "A bowl of fresh fruit was considered a luxury."
Chan couldn't help but think of those hungry years while driving around her neighborhood 45 miles east of San Francisco three years ago. Shocked to discover oranges, lemons and apricots rotting in her neighbors' yards, the stay-at-home mom vowed to collect the fruit and donate it to people in need. Since then, Chan-known locally as the Lemon Lady (thelemonlady.blogspot.org)-and a dozen volunteers have harvested 250 tons of fruits and vegetables, valued at $600,000, donated by neighbors and nearby farmers. Clocking more than 40 hours a week, she picks up the produce at all hours of the day and drops it off at food banks-with her daughter Ava, 4, often in tow. "Anna allows us to have food we could never afford," says Kathy Walters, 66, a regular at Share Food Pantry in Concord, Calif. "She has absolutely saved us."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!