Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- How Making a Murderer's Steven Avery Fell in Love Behind Bars: New Fiancée Says, 'It Was Just Like Magic'
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- WATCH: Eric Dyches Starts Center for Moms with Postpartum Depression in Memory of his Wife
- Stephen Fishbach's Survivor Blog: Timing Is Everything
- Princess Kate's $385 Cowboy Boots Are Not the Royal Re-Wear They Appear
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 06, 2011
- Vol. 75
- No. 22
One of the singer's favorite recipes from Scarpetta restaurant in Beverly Hills
SPAGHETTI WITH GARLIC & OLIVE OIL
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ pound of spaghetti
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley or more to taste
1. Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until it is al dente, about 9 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
2. While spaghetti is cooking, heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute or until it sizzles. Add the red pepper flakes. Continue sauteing until the edges of the garlic just begin to brown, about 2 more minutes. Add reserved cup of pasta water and a pinch of salt. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Turn the heat down to medium-low, then add the drained pasta and parsley. Toss until the pasta has absorbed most of the liquid, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
James Beard Award Winner's
Chef Gabriel Rucker-winner of the food competition's 2011 Rising Star award-shares his Portland, Ore., restaurant's signature burger recipe
LE PIGEON RESTAURANT BURGER
Makes 4 burgers
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup water
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. salt, divided
4 sprigs thyme
8 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp. chili flakes
1 medium red onion sliced into 1/3-in. rings
1¾ lb. ground chuck
4 slices white cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
¼ cup aioli or mayonnaise
1 tbsp. chopped parsley
Ketchup and mustard
4 toasted ciabatta rolls
1. Pickle onions first by combining vinegar, water, sugar, ½ tsp. salt, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns and chili flakes in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Add onions, turn off heat and let rest for 20 minutes. Drain.
3. Preheat grill. Form 4 meat patties. Add ½ tsp. salt; grill 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
4. Combine lettuce, aioli (or mayonnaise) and parsley in a bowl to form a slaw.
5. Spread mustard inside top of bun and ketchup on bottom.
6. Place 1 slice cheese on each burger during last 2 minutes of cooking to melt.
7. Grill onions until charred.
8. Place burger, ¼ of the onions and the slaw on bun. Top with other half.
These treats aren't just sweet. Here's a rundown of some unusual twists-smoked salmon, anyone?-on the baked goodie
Salted Caramel Cupcake
The trend stems from a desire "to eat cupcakes in every form possible!" says the Food Network's Cupcake Wars judge, who celebrated the May opening of a New York City branch of her Sprinkles Cupcakes shop with a salty-sweet take on the theme. (sprinkles.com)
Bacon Maple Cupcake
Oprah's O Magazine highlighted this unusual combo from her hometown bakery Chicago's More Cupcakes. (morecupcakes.com)
Savory cupcakes are "a great way to incorporate surprising ingredients," says the Food Network host. Pizzica's show Outrageous Food featured this smoked salmon recipe from Philadelphia's It's a Cupcake. (itsacupcake.com)
Tomato Soup Cupcake
L.A.'s Yummy Cupcakes attracts celeb fans like Bilson and offers more than 200 flavors, including this tomato soup cupcake that comes with raisins, walnuts and a buttercream frosting. (yummycupcakes.com)
A savory cupcake recipe from L.A.'s celeb caterer Heirloom L.A.
SMOKED MAC-N-CHEESE LASAGNA CUPCAKES
Makes 12 cupcakes
15-16 pieces (1-lb. box) lasagna, cooked until tender and drained
3 cups grated Parmesan
3 cups grated smoked mozzarella
3 cups grated sharp cheddar white sauce (see recipe below)
1. Trim 12 lasagna pieces into 6×2-in. strips and place on lightly oiled sheet pan. Cut remaining pieces into 3 equal sections and place on sheet pan.
2. Brush a 12-cup cupcake tin with olive oil. Lay 2 6-in. lasagna strips in the bottom of each mold to form an X. (Strips will hang over.)
3. Sprinkle 1 tbsp. of each cheese over pasta, packing down well. Top with 1 tbsp. of sauce. Place 1 smaller lasagna piece on top. Repeat for each.
4. Fold the 2 overhanging pieces over the top of each cupcake. Use sauce to seal edges. Sprinkle with each cheese and a dab of sauce. Cover with plastic wrap; chill for at least 2 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 325. Bake cupcakes 25 to 30 minutes. Let cupcakes rest 10 minutes before serving.
Melt 4 tbsp. butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 3 tbsp. flour and stir for 2 minutes. Slowly add 2 cups hot milk, stirring constantly. Add a pinch of salt and cook over low heat, stirring until thickened, about 10 minutes.
A savory cupcake recipe from L.A.'s celeb caterer Heirloom L.A.
Recipe adapted from Heirloom L.A.; heirloomla.com.
The reality star turned lifestyle blogger shares some of the beloved accent pieces in her L.A. home
"I love buying special little pieces," says the star, who gives decor tips on lauren conrad.com.
Conrad finds this candle's blood-orange scent "intoxicating." Stella Candela, $38; tocca.com
Conrad has this vintage print hanging in her bedroom. Lingerie in London, Paris, New York Illustration, $9.99-$79.99; allposters.com
"I have an affection for bows," she says. "When I saw these pillows, I had to have them!" Grey Big Bow Pillow, $24; bedbuggs.etsy.com
Martha Stewart Living Paint in Elderflower, $24.97 per gallon; homedepot.com
"This wallpaper brings charm to my entryway," says Conrad, who's also a fan of warm-hued paint colors. Florence Broadhurst Japanese Floral Wallpaper, $400 a roll; walnutwallpaper.com
"Coffee table books are key accessories that reflect your interests. I love fashion history." In Vogue and Valentino: Themes and Variations, both $75; rizzoliusa.com
"I love to bake. And it's fun to display all kinds of treats on pretty cake platters." Gracie China Victorian Rose Collection 10" Cake Stand, $30; amazon.com
- CONTRIBUTORS Liza Hamm,
- Thailan Pham,
- Suzanne Zuckerman.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!