Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Is Zayn Malik Working on a Solo Career After Leaving One Direction?
- The Style Top 5: Amal Clooney Brings Her Glam Street Style to NYC, Iggy Azalea Gets Candid About Her Body and More
- World's Hottest Math Teacher: College Student Discovers His Lecturer Is Actually a Male Model
- Casey Wilson: Why I Was 'Relieved' to Find Out I'm Having a Boy
- See All the Winners from the Kids' Choice Awards!
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
I'm Thankful For... Musical Heroes
Brad Paisley Reflects on the Family, Friends and Guitar Gurus Who Shared Their Passion for Music and Life
Chief among those musical guides was his grandfather Warren Jarvis. After buying his grandson his first guitar when he was 8, the two spent hours dissecting the signature picking styles of Roy Clark, Les Paul and Chet Atkins. "He didn't start playing until he was 40 or so, but he realized this was an instrument with so many nuances that playing it is almost like handwriting," Paisley says. "You grow up with that, you can't help but absorb it."
The singer went on to study under guitarist Hank Goddard, with whom he developed fleet fingers on the strings but also learned about generosity of spirit when Goddard agreed to play in his student's backing band. "He was way better than what I was doing, but he cared about me. He couldn't say no to doing something helpful."
Soon the guitar prodigy was meeting virtuosos like Steve Wariner ("He had a red Stratocaster and a bus with flames on it!") and Vince Gill, who opened his eyes to possibility. "Seeing those guys, it was like, 'That's who I want to be!'" he says. "A lot of people collaborated to get me to this point, and I'm thankful for that."
- WRITERS FOR THIS PACKAGE Danielle Anderson,
- Cheryl Brody Franklin,
- Bethany Lye,
- Kristen Mascia,
- Michelle Tauber,
- Kay West.
March 28, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!