Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Find Out What Joe Jonas Has to Say About Exes Taylor, Demi and Gigi on WWHL's Plead the Fifth!
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Melanie Griffith on Being 'Introspective' and 'Totally Curious' About Her New Path in Life
- Oprah Winfrey, Kelly Clarkson, Kerry Washington and More React to Hillary Clinton's Nomination on Twitter
- Pretty Little Liars Star Troian Bellisario Doesn't Want Any Part of the Taylor vs. Kim Feud: 'I Would Choose the Green Party'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 19, 2011
- Vol. 76
- No. 25
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Star: From Rooney to Lisbeth
No Pain, No Gain-From Piercings to Push-Ups, Rooney Mara Did It All to Become Punk Hacker Lisbeth Salander
Mara's first big step toward transforming into the new movie's androgynous hacker heroine: chopping 12 inches off her brown mane and dyeing it black. "It was a surreal day," says the 26-year-old actress, until now best known as the sweet-faced preppie who dumped Jesse Eisenberg in The Social Network. "But I was already getting into character. I was ready!"
She added six piercings-in her ears, her eyebrow and one, well, R-rated location. (Her nose and lip rings are fake.) Did they hurt? "It was fine," Mara says. "I wasn't freaked out by the hair-cutting, the piercings, the dyeing. The bleaching of my eyebrows was the most startling thing."
To measure up to Swedish author Stieg Larsson's avenger, Mara kickboxed, did push-ups until she could clap her hands between each one and "skateboarded to get that 14-year-old-boy stance," she says.
Raised in suburban Bedford, N.Y., Mara is football royalty: Her great-grandfathers founded the Steelers and the Giants (her big sister is actress Kate Mara, 28). Still, "Salander didn't seem that foreign to me," she says. "Rooney was able to draw on being shy and introverted like Lisbeth," says producer Cean Chaffin. "But she's got a good family. Lisbeth is alone." For Mara, "I found it quite easy to slip into Lisbeth's skin. It was harder to come out."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!