- Solange Knowles Celebrates 30th Birthday with Beyoncé and Pals in New Mexico
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- Matchmaking Dad Temporarily Postpones Wife Interviews for His Son but Says: 'I'm on the Right Track'
- Texas Mom Who Killed 2 Daughters Had a 'History of Mental Illness,' Authorities Say
- Pretty in Pink! Inside Lacey Chabert's 'Feminine and Romantic' Nursery
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- February 06, 2012
- Vol. 77
- No. 5
Rolling in the Trophies?
The Hottest Grammy Party! The Wildest Red Carpet Styles! A Paul McCartney Lovefest! The Down-Low on Music's Biggest Weekend
Adele may have sold more albums (6.7 million!) in the U.S. in 2011 than Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber combined, but the world's top pop star felt out of place at her first Grammys, in 2009. "Jay-Z was there and Diddy ran past," she told PEOPLE then. "I thought, 'What the hell am I doing here?'" Adele, 23, will feel more at home this year-she's up for six awards, including Album of the Year for 21-and she's excited to make a splashy return after throat surgery in November. "I'll be wearing my dream Grammy dress," she says. "And I'm looking forward to seeing Kanye." As for postshow plans, she says, "I'll probably nip into a few parties. But then I'll go to the cinema like last time!"
Kanye's Awards Show Rants
Real or Fake?
1 Everybody wants to know what I would do if I didn't win. I guess we'll never know!
2 I've been working on this thing they told me about—humbleness, humility. I don't like it.
3 Can I first just say, my fellow nominees-Yeezy needs you to turn up the fashion! I got you on rapping and style.
4 Whenever you say, "I want to be Elvis," they say, "What's wrong with you?" But I want to be Elvis.
5 Let me give a warning: If you play the music and cut off my speech, I will not leave the stage for the rest of the night.
ANSWERS: Numbers 3 and 5 are fake
ME & TEQUILA
The country star is a huge fan of the Mexican spirit-he is, after all, nominated for "You and Tequila," his hit with rocker Grace Potter. "A little Cabo Wabo [tequila], salt, lime, your girl and your friends add up to a good time," he says. One anejo-filled night he recalls warmly? "After filming the video 'Grace,' the crew and I sat on a cliff at sunset drinking shots. We toasted to how lucky we are to do something we love."
DEFINING THE WEIRDEST WORDS THAT LED TO BIG NOMINATIONS
(MY-loh ZY-loh-toh), n.
1. A Coldplay album that generated three nods, including Best Rock Song.
2. "It's us starting from scratch," says Chris Martin. "We said, 'Let's come up with words that don't have any other hits on Google!'"
1. A Bon Iver song up for two awards, including Song of the Year.
2. The current geological epoch.
3. "A bar where I had a dark night of the soul," singer Justin Vernon has said.
1. Alias of Sonny Moore, a rocker turned deejay who's nominated for Best New Artist.
2. "It's a stupid nickname that came out of social online networking handles," Moore has said.
1. Aussie band Cut Copy's set nominated for Best Dance/Electronica Album.
2. "It's a lens to see into our imaginary world," says drummer Mitchell Scott of the fake term.
WHY I LOVE PAUL McCARTNEY
Paul writes about his life and the things he's learned about love in such a brilliantly simple way. I feel as if I've been let into his heart and his mind. I discovered his music on my own as a child, then bought all of the Beatles and Paul McCartney tapes and CDs I could find.
When I met him backstage at his 2010 concert in Nashville, I remember being excited that he was such a kind person. Seeing him sing "Blackbird" live will always be a moment I won't forget. His music makes me feel there's more good in the world than we think, and maybe love can really exist in a pure form. And isn't that what we want to feel when we listen to music? To see Paul doing what he's doing at 69 is so inspiring. He's out there continuing to make his fans so happy. Any musician could only dream of a legacy like that.
What's Your Favorite McCartney Song?
"'Helter Skelter' because Paul sang it so good-[he has] such great range."
"'Eleanor Rigby' has always been a favorite. There's something really haunting about it."
"'Let It Be.' I bawl every time I hear it. That lyric is so beautiful."
-KIMBERLY PERRY OF THE BAND PERRY
"'Picasso's Last Words (Drink to Me).' I told Paul about Picasso's last words; he put it in a song!"
Grammy FASHION THROUGH THE YEARS WILD STYLE
MARY J. BLIGE
BETTE MIDLER & STEVIE WONDER
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!