A recipe from chef Art Smith of New York's Joanne Trattoria, the new eatery owned by the singer's parents
GERMANOTTA TOMATO FENNEL SOUP
2 tbsp. olive oil
½ onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 fennel bulb, chopped
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and fennel. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes and broth; simmer 4 minutes. Remove from heat; add basil and parsley. Cool slightly. Puree in blender. Season to taste and serve hot.
FUN TWISTS WITH PRETZELS
The Food Network star shares some of her favorite ways to use the snack food in cooking. 'They have a lovely texture and they come already seasoned,' she says. 'It's a two-for-one deal.'
PRETZEL-CRUSTED CHICKEN MILANESE
1 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten with 1 tbsp. water
1 ½ cups crushed pretzels
½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
4 (6 to 8 oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded to ¼ -in. thickness
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
1. Place flour, eggs and pretzels mixed with cheese in 3 separate deep dishes. Lightly sprinkle chicken with salt. Dredge pieces in flour, then in egg, and then in pretzel-cheese mixture. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Pour ½ in. olive oil into a large saute pan. Heat over medium-high heat. Add butter. Cook chicken, in batches, 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Do not crowd pan. Remove chicken and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and serve.
PERFECT FOR DESSERTS
"Fold crushed thick pretzel rods into brownies," says Burrell. "Yum! The pieces should be big enough so they don't get soggy."
JAZZ UP YOUR MAC AND CHEESE
"Add pretzel crumbs on top and put it in the broiler for 3 to 4 minutes," suggests Burrell. "It's delightful."
TOSS THEM IN A SALAD
"Use shards of sourdough pretzels in a salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, fresh basil, red onions and olive oil," she says. "They add lots of crunch and flavor."
Anne Burrell's cookbook Cook Like a Rock Star is available in stores now.
The Gilt Groupe style guru picks accessories that add fun to your space
"They look interesting, like a little piece of sculpture," says Delavan. Pedra coasters, $65 for four; gilt.com/home
"They're beautiful even when the candle isn't lit," says Delavan. Muse votives, $78 for two; jonathanadler.com
"The way the five patterns mix together is great," he says. Blue and white pattern bowls, $4.95 each; pearlriver.com
"I'm a big fan of table lamps because they give the best light," he says. "And I love this shape." Perch glass lamp, $69; westelm.com
"These are really modern-I love the colors." Pill carafes, $7.95 each; zgallerie.com
- CONTRIBUTORS Asher Fogle,
- Liza Hamm,
- Thailan Pham.