Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Wait Until You Read What Martha Stewart Said to Justin Bieber at His Comedy Central Roast
- The Best Photos from the Week of Mar. 23- Mar. 29, 2015
- Mother Allegedly Smothers Her Child in NYC Restaurant Bathroom
- Iggy Azalea Talks Britney Spears Duet: Grabbing Lunch, Becoming Friends
- Cate Blanchett on Watching Her Three Sons Bond with Baby Edith: It's Extraordinary
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 05, 2012
- Vol. 77
- No. 10
She Planted 15,000 Trees!
Kemba Shakur, a mom of five, founded Urban Releaf (www.urbanreleaf.org) in 1999. Since then, she's planted 7,000 trees and given another 8,000 to schools.
Growing up in San Francisco's housing projects, Shakur cherished family camping trips, where she'd sleep under the stars at Yosemite National Park. "I loved the smell of the redwoods," she says. "It washed away the stresses of the city."
When Shakur moved to a crime-ridden section of Oakland in 1994, the former corrections officer was shocked to discover not a single tree on her street. "Block after block of concrete," she says. "The prison grounds looked better."
SEEDS OF HOPE
Mobilizing neighbors, family and friends, Shakur began planting elms and sycamores with money raised from grants and donations. She also incorporated a second passion-mentoring at-risk teens-and to date has taught some 15,000 the finer points of tree maintenance. The result: a renewed sense of pride for people like lifelong Oakland resident Renee Abdullah, 61: "Her trees have changed our streets. When the neighborhood looks good, people feel good."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
March 30, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!