Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chris Pratt and Anna Faris Let Loose at Super Bowl Party
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- Busy Philipps Says 'There Were a Lot of Tears' When Cougar Town Shot Its Last Episode
- 7 Reasons We're Pumped for the Kitten Bowl
- Eric Paslay Is Engaged to Natalie Harker!
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Sunday February 01, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 05, 2012
- Vol. 77
- No. 10
She Planted 15,000 Trees!
Kemba Shakur, a mom of five, founded Urban Releaf (www.urbanreleaf.org) in 1999. Since then, she's planted 7,000 trees and given another 8,000 to schools.
Growing up in San Francisco's housing projects, Shakur cherished family camping trips, where she'd sleep under the stars at Yosemite National Park. "I loved the smell of the redwoods," she says. "It washed away the stresses of the city."
When Shakur moved to a crime-ridden section of Oakland in 1994, the former corrections officer was shocked to discover not a single tree on her street. "Block after block of concrete," she says. "The prison grounds looked better."
SEEDS OF HOPE
Mobilizing neighbors, family and friends, Shakur began planting elms and sycamores with money raised from grants and donations. She also incorporated a second passion-mentoring at-risk teens-and to date has taught some 15,000 the finer points of tree maintenance. The result: a renewed sense of pride for people like lifelong Oakland resident Renee Abdullah, 61: "Her trees have changed our streets. When the neighborhood looks good, people feel good."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!