Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- World War II Lovebirds Celebrate 70th Wedding Anniversary: 'They've Stuck Together Through Thick and Thin'
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Cincinnati Zoo Director Explains Why Staff Didn't Tranquilize Harambe the Gorilla: 'He Was Disoriented'
- Selena Gomez Visits Sick Children at Boston Children's Hospital
- 5 Reasons Why Prince Harry Is a Veteran's Best Friend
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 21, 2012
- Vol. 77
- No. 21
The Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch: 1964-2012
He Fought for the Right to Party-and Then for a Free Tibet-But the Rap Icon Lost His Battle with Cancer
Things are, sadly, quieter now. On May 4 Yauch (a.k.a. MCA), 47, lost his nearly three-year battle with cancer of the salivary gland. As the news spread, fellow artists paid tribute to the Grammy winner, whose music-including the group's debut License to Ill and its instant classic "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party!)"-helped break down racial barriers in the hip-hop world. "That white guy, MCA, did stuff that rappers today will never do," says rapper pal DMC.
In later years Yauch's life contrasted with his group's hard-partying image-that bluster, he'd said, was "a joke that just went too far." After turning to Buddhism, he cofounded the Milarepa Fund and raised awareness of Tibetan issues. He also ran the film company Oscilloscope Laboratories and was devoted to his wife, Dechen, 38, and daughter Tenzin Losel, 13. After Yauch's death, Diamond praised his pal's faith, humor and humility: "The world is in need of many more like him."
- With Marisa Laudadio,
- Le Datta Grimes.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!