Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- HERstory! Hillary Clinton Accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination: 'When There Are No Ceilings, the Sky's the Limit'
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- All About Katy Perry's Glittery Democratic Convention Performance Look
- Chelsea Clinton Introduces Mom Hillary as She Accepts Democratic Nomination: 'She Makes Me Proud Every Single Day'
- Chloë Grace Moretz Addresses Crowd at DNC: 'My First Vote For President Will be For Hillary Clinton'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 08, 2012
- Vol. 78
- No. 15
Teens Take Up the Cause Feed Hungry Kids Now!
From Kinston, N.C., to Hackensack, N.J., Amazing Young People Are Providing Food-Filled Backpacks to Hundreds of Children in Their Communities—and Inspiring Others to Give
HELP FEED A CHILD
As a counselor at a summer program, Carly Sanderson, 16, listened in stunned silence as kids fretted about leaving, not because they'd miss their new friends but because of the bare cupboards that awaited them. "I had no idea," the junior at Bethel Christian Academy in Kinston, N.C., says, "that so many were hungry." The quietly determined daughter of a farmer, she decided to make a difference for needy students at Southeast Elementary School. Partnering with the Louisville, Ky., nonprofit Blessings in a Backpack (see box), she and a handful of volunteers pack 50 food-filled backpacks for kids to take home to their families every Friday. "We were struggling," says Michelle Moore, 33, a college student and mom of backpack recipient Tysheka, 8, and her three siblings (11, 4 and 10 months); Moore's husband, Antron, was laid off from his airline-parts plant job. "I thank God for [Carly]." Third grader Tysheka loves to share: "I like the juice and noodles in my backpack. I give some to my brothers and sisters." For Carly, that is reward enough. "I see the kids' faces when I pack each bag," she says. "And that keeps me going."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!