Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Teen Thanks Taylor Swift for Saving Her Friends' Lives After Accident – with a Light-Up Bracelet from Singer's Concert
- Read the Cover Story: The Duggars' Dark Secrets
- Scripps National Spelling Bee Ends in a Tie for the Second Year in a Row
- D.C. Mansion Murders Surviving Housekeeper: 'They Saved My Life'
- The Bachelor's Chris Harrison Is 'Sorry' to Hear About Chris Soules and Whitney Bischoff's Split
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 19, 2012
- Vol. 78
- No. 21
She Rescues Puppy-Mill Dogs
Though a pediatric nurse by profession, Theresa Strader has always been an animal lover, and she started volunteering at shelters when she was just 10. In 2007 she heard about 561 dogs going up for auction when a large-scale breeder-a "puppy mill"-was going out of business. "I said, 'I'm set up to take care of two or three of them.'" But her heart sank when she arrived. "The first thing that hits you is the smell," Strader recalls. "Then you are overwhelmed by the emotion of seeing dogs live like that, in cages, frantic. These were dogs who never felt sunshine on them." She ended up going home with 13 of them.
After that Strader founded the nonprofit National Mill Dog Rescue, which has since housed, rehabilitated or found homes for more than 6,800 dogs, from poodles to pugs and Cavaliers to Chihuahuas. At her 160-acre facility, Strader and a team of 1,400 volunteers plus a small paid veterinary staff "take immaculate care of every single dog. We don't cherry-pick," she says. "We take everybody."
Sherrie Lidderdale, who adopted a Welsh corgi from Strader, says, "Most people who love animals know about Theresa and all of the work that she does. It's just so cool when one single individual can make such a huge difference."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAGCOM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!