'It has lots of flavor with a little kick!' says Damon of the dish he and chef Ming Tsai cooked at a benefit for the Family Reach Foundation
Makes 20 appetizers
1 tbsp. cracked black peppercorns
¼ cup red wine
6 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. soy sauce
¾ tsp. chopped fresh thyme or ¼ tsp. dried thyme leaves
2 tbsp. minced garlic
½ cup plus 2 tbsp. canola oil
1 lb. hanger steak, trimmed and sliced across grain into ¼-in.-thick strips
20 (6- to 8-in.) bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Stir peppercorns in a small skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 4 minutes until fragrant and smoking; transfer to a large glass bowl. Add 1 tsp. salt and next 5 ingredients. Whisk oil gradually into mixture until smooth.
2. Toss beef in oil mixture to coat. Cover and chill 4 hours.
3. Thread beef strips onto skewers, leaving 1 to 2 inches of skewer open at 1 end. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat grill to medium-high. Cook beef to medium doneness, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Recipe adapted from Family Reach's Cooking Live menu
The owner of the legendary New York City restaurant Le Cirque shares an Italian treat
1 sheet (½ 17.3-oz. package) frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
¼ cup light brown sugar
1. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry to 1/16-in. thickness. Cut dough into 4 6-in. rounds. Transfer rounds to baking sheets and prick dough all over with a fork. Chill at least 15 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350. Arrange apple slices on dough rounds, rounded sides out, in concentric circles. Overlap slices so dough is completely covered. Brush apples with the butter and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake tarts until apples are tender and pastry is crisp, about 30 to 35 minutes. Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from A Table at Le Cirque by Sirio Maccioni and Pamela Fiori
The interior designer and author shares some fave touches for a festive home
Thom Filicia's new design book American Beauty: Renovating and Decorating a Beloved Retreat is in stores now.
"Lush throws add a little touch of luxe to your holiday."
Eskimo Faux Fur Throw, $64.99; wayfair.com
A LITTLE SPARKLE
"These globes are a decorative way to bounce light around your space and add a beautiful glow," he says.
Lit Mercury Glass Globe, $29.50-54.50; potterybarn.com
"Hammered metal is a great way to add sparkle to your home," says Filicia.
Hammered Metal Platter, $24; westelm.com
"These napkins add a classic element to a gathering," he says.
Gilded Ice Feather Napkins, $3.99 for two; available in Target stores
"Make your guests feel special by adding layers of light."
Raj Hurricane, $17.95; crateandbarrel.com
"This web of textured twigs is fabulous—fill it with your favorite delectables," he says.
Branch Bowl, $69.95; zgallerie.com
- CONTRIBUTORS Thailan Pham,
- Emily Strohm,
- with Paul Chi.