Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Zayn Malik Speaks Out About Leaving One Direction: 'I Feel Like I'm Doing What's Right'
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Britney Spears and Her Boys!
- VIDEO: Bruce Jenner Cries After Ex-Wife Kris Removes Him from Her Living Will
- Former Family Matters Star Darius McCrary Arrested for Failing to Pay Child Support
- Scandal Recap: Olivia Pushes Cyrus Down the Aisle
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 03, 2012
- Vol. 78
- No. 23
For Kids with Autism, Wings to Fly
Pediatrician Wendy Ross was in the office in '09 when the mom of a patient, a girl with autism, called frantically from a Florida airport. Rattled by the boarding process, the child had such a terrible meltdown the family decided to get off the plane. "These families feel so trapped, it's heartbreaking," Ross says. "I thought, 'What can I do to make this right?'"
So Ross, a married mom of two boys, worked with clinicians and airlines to develop an air-travel program at Philadelphia International Airport that lets kids with autism practice everything from check-in and security screening to boarding a mock flight. This month United Airlines starts rolling it out nationally through Ross's Autism Inclusion Resources (autismir.com). Among those grateful for Ross's help: Sheila Mitchell-Green and husband Derek. Their 11-year-old son Julian struggles with lines but traveled smoothly when they visited Disney World last year. "This made," Sheila says, "all the difference in the world."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAGCOM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!