- VIDEO: See Joanna Krupa's Egg-Retrieval Procedure
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- It's Another Girl for Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell!
- Which Former Boy Band Member Will Compete on The Amazing Race?
- Kim Kardashian Wore Fur-Lined Strappy Stilettos, and Yes, There are Photos
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Saturday December 20, 2014 01:10AM EST
- January 21, 2013
- Vol. 79
- No. 2
A Tragic Death, a Gift of Life
Vibrant, funny and athletic, Taylor Storch, 13, was thrilled to hit the Colorado slopes in March 2010 for her first family ski trip. "She was having a blast," says her dad, Todd, 43. "The best day turned into the worst nightmare." Taylor, wearing a helmet on an intermediate slope, struck a tree and was pronounced brain-dead at the hospital. "My soul was empty," says mom Tara, 43. "I felt like I was wearing a cement cape."
The grieving couple found comfort knowing their tragedy gave life to others. They donated Taylor's organs (see box) and launched the nonprofit Taylor's Gift (taylorsgift.org) to promote organ donation. Experts say their efforts, along with others', have helped add some 2 million names to Texas's donor registry. The Storches, with kids Ryan, 14, and Peyton, 12, formed a close bond with Taylor's heart recipient, Patricia Winters, 42, a labor and delivery nurse and mom of two who had a life-threatening heart condition. "Now I can walk, breathe, pick up my boys at school," she says. "I have a tomorrow because of Taylor."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
December 19, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!