Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Hillary Clinton Has a Hot Nephew and the Internet Can't Get Over It
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Georgia Woman Allegedly Researched People Who Kill Their Families – Then Shot Daughter-in-Law: Police
- 'I Cried for an Hour': Sandy Hook Parents Return to 'Sacred Ground' at Site of School Massacre
- Jared Leto: Playing the Joker in Suicide Squad 'Was a Role of a Lifetime'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 21, 2013
- Vol. 79
- No. 2
A Tragic Death, a Gift of Life
Vibrant, funny and athletic, Taylor Storch, 13, was thrilled to hit the Colorado slopes in March 2010 for her first family ski trip. "She was having a blast," says her dad, Todd, 43. "The best day turned into the worst nightmare." Taylor, wearing a helmet on an intermediate slope, struck a tree and was pronounced brain-dead at the hospital. "My soul was empty," says mom Tara, 43. "I felt like I was wearing a cement cape."
The grieving couple found comfort knowing their tragedy gave life to others. They donated Taylor's organs (see box) and launched the nonprofit Taylor's Gift (taylorsgift.org) to promote organ donation. Experts say their efforts, along with others', have helped add some 2 million names to Texas's donor registry. The Storches, with kids Ryan, 14, and Peyton, 12, formed a close bond with Taylor's heart recipient, Patricia Winters, 42, a labor and delivery nurse and mom of two who had a life-threatening heart condition. "Now I can walk, breathe, pick up my boys at school," she says. "I have a tomorrow because of Taylor."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!