- And the New Miss Universe Is ...
- The Style Top 5: A Look at a Sexy New Jeans Ad (Starring Adrian Grenier)
Kendall Jenner's Makeup Secret & More
- The SAG Awards Brought Together Our Favorite '90s Crushes
- VIDEO: Watch Those As the World Turns Scenes Julianne Moore Mentioned in Her SAG Awards Speech
- Viola Davis Calls Out 4-Year-Old Daughter in Heartfelt SAG Speech
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Monday January 26, 2015 03:10AM EST
- February 04, 2013
- Vol. 79
- No. 4
The cohost of Food Network's Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off shares one of his all-time favorite recipes. 'The rye bread, the horseradish, the onions-it's the bomb!' he says
BALTIMORE BEEF BAD BOY
1¾ tsp. fine sea salt, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
1½ tsp. onion powder
1½ tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. chili powder
1¼ lb. beef top round
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup mayonnaise
½ tsp. lemon juice
¼ cup hot horseradish
½ tsp. minced garlic
8 slices rye bread, lightly toasted
1 white onion, sliced paper-thin
1. Combine 1½ tsp. sea salt and next 6 ingredients in a resealable 1-gallon plastic bag. Add meat and shake it around in the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours.
2. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, horseradish, garlic, ¼ tsp. sea salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
3. Remove meat from refrigerator 20 minutes before grilling. Preheat grill or large grill pan to high. Grill 15 minutes (7½ minutes per side) for medium rare. Cover meat and let rest 10 minutes. Slice paper-thin. Divide meat among 4 bread slices. Top with sauce, onion slices and remaining bread.
Rachael Ray's HEARTY PASTA
The celeb chef says this 'deeply flavored meal is a great alternative to the meat lover's classic'
1 oz. dried mushrooms
2 cups water
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp. butter
4 portobello mushroom caps, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1 small rib celery, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 cup dry red wine
1¾ cups crushed tomatoes
1 cup whole milk
1 lb. fettuccine, cooked and drained
Chopped flat-leaf parsley
Grated pecorino-romano cheese
1. Bring dried mushrooms and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes. Cool. Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid, and chop coarsely.
2. In a heavy pot, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add portobellos, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, bay leaf and nutmeg. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Stir in wine, and cook 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Reduce heat, and stir in chopped mushrooms, reserved liquid and milk. Simmer over low heat until thick, 30 minutes. Toss fettuccine with sauce. Top with parsley and cheese.
Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off airs Sundays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on Food Network.
On Location: NASHVILLE
Creator Callie Khouri and star Charles Esten (he plays Deacon) of ABC's hit Nashville share some of their fave spots in the city
3RD AND LINDSLEY
"This is a place to hear great music," says Khouri. "Don't miss the band the Time Jumpers. Trust me."
MARATHON MOTOR WORKS AND BANG CANDY
"It's my new addiction," says Khouri of the spot that houses antique stores, galleries and the Bang Candy Company. Gourmet marshmallows, 4 for $5; bangcandycompany.com
ARNOLD'S COUNTRY KITCHEN
"It's not a fancy restaurant, but it's where you experience real country cooking," says Khouri.
TWO OLD HIPPIES
"This store has funky clothes, boots, jewelry-even live music!" says Esten. "You'll find way too many things you want."
BOURBON STREET BLUES AND BOOGIE BAR
"Be there Tuesday nights for the great Whitey Johnson!" says the actor.
GRIMEY'S NEW AND PRELOVED MUSIC
"A great place to buy the best CDs or vinyl," says Esten. "Make sure you have nowhere else to go-it's hard to leave."
Nashville airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on ABC.
[The following text appears within a map. Please see hardcopy or PDF for actual map.]
6TH AVE S
Esten with costar Connie Britton.
5TH AVE S
4TH AVE S
3RD AVE S
Venus Williams's FAVORITE THINGS
The tennis pro and CEO of design firm V Starr Interiors shares fun ways to spruce up your home
"This is similar to a pattern I would use in my clothing line EleVen," she says. "So of course I love it!"
Mimosa Frames, $24.95-$29.95; zgallerie.com
"Anything glittery is a must-have!"
Glitter Tray and Catch-All Dish, $6-$12; urbanoutfitters.com
Williams loves this bowl's "floating center."
Tradig Bowl, $29.99; ikea.com
"These would be beautiful in front of a colorful wall," she says.
Oslo Crystal Candleholders, $9.95-$39.95; crateandbarrel.com
"My dog Harold would love this bed," says Williams.
Vintage Suitcase Pet Bed, $89; Custom made at etsy.com/shop/OldBarnTreasures
This pillow cover "brings a lot of life to a space," says Williams.
Leah Durner Abstract Pillow Cover, $39; westelm.com
- CONTRIBUTORS Liza Hamm,
- Catherine Kast,
- Emily Strohm.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!