Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- VIDEO: See Joanna Krupa's Egg-Retrieval Procedure
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- It's Another Girl for Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell!
- Which Former Boy Band Member Will Compete on The Amazing Race?
- Kim Kardashian Wore Fur-Lined Strappy Stilettos, and Yes, There are Photos
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Saturday December 20, 2014 07:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 04, 2013
- Vol. 79
- No. 9
Helping Kids in Need
Maria D'Angelo never dreamed she'd start a charity. But one afternoon in 1992, while volunteering at a homeless shelter, she met an 8-year-old boy who hadn't been attending school because his mom couldn't afford to get him a physical. "So I took him to a doctor," recalls D'Angelo, "and before long I started taking other kids." One act of kindness blossomed into another for this Italian immigrant who arrived in America on a freighter at 14. Each time D'Angelo, a former private school teacher, discovered a new need, she found a way to meet it. In 1993 she started the Children's Lifesaving Foundation (childrenslifesaving foundation.org), which-with a paid staff of three and hundreds of volunteers-has provided tutoring for hundreds of grade-schoolers, awarded college scholarships, moved families from shelters into new apartments and run summer camps attended by 50,000 inner-city kids. Says recent scholarship recipient Jasmin Romero, 18, who plans to become a nurse: "I owe my world to Maria."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
December 20, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!