Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- D.C. Mansion Murders: 4 People Detained with Suspect Daron Dylon Wint Released
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- The Bachelor Dudes Think Kaitlyn Is Kissing Just the Right Amount!
- WATCH: Aaron Paul Starred in a Clearasil Commercial in the '90s
- VIDEO: Bethenny Frankel Breaks Down on RHONY
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 20, 2013
- Vol. 79
- No. 20
Helping Kids Become Doctors
TOUGH START: Raised by a single teen mom in an East Los Angeles neighborhood where gangs, drugs and poverty ruined lives, Tomás Magaña held on to his dream of becoming a doctor. With his mom's support and scholarships, he became a pediatrician—with a mission. "I decided," says Magaña, "to give kids what I wish I'd had."
PROMISING PATH: In 2000 Magaña launched FACES for the Future (facesforthefuture.org). The nonprofit has paired 468 high school students with medical professionals in two-year mentorships; they shadow surgeons, assist nurses and learn hospital procedures. Nearly all have gone to college; many are training for or working in health-related fields.
DOCTOR IN TRAINING: "Dr. Magaña overcame all these challenges," says Leonel Mendoza, 26, who grew up poor in Oakland and now is a first-year medical student. "It would be awesome if I can too."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONGUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!