Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- FROM TIME: Police Say Germanwings Pilot 'Hid' Mental Illness Before Crash
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Britney Spears and Her Boys!
- What Does Dolly Parton Think of Taylor Swift?
- What 'Rite of Passage' Is Nick Jonas Looking Forward To?
- Miley Cyrus, Ashton Kutcher Slam Indiana Governor over Anti-Gay Legislation
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 27, 2013
- Vol. 79
- No. 21
Flying Vets to a Special Place
Earl Morse was a physician's assistant at a VA clinic when he asked a few WWII-era patients if they'd been to the memorial in Washington, D.C., that had opened that spring of '04. "None had, and they weren't going to—they didn't have the means," Morse says. "It broke my heart."
So Morse, a retired Air Force captain and private pilot, decided to take them there. Recruiting volunteer pilots and raising funds to rent small planes, he flew 12 vets in May '05. It would be the first of 100 flights Morse would make; his efforts vastly expanded with help from Jeff Miller, 58, a businessman who started raising funds to charter commercial flights. Joining forces, the two formed Honor Flight Network (honor flight.org), which has flown more than 100,000 vets to the site.
Last fall Charlie Sens, 89, of Marion, Ohio, cried as he laid eyes on the monument's granite pillars. "Earl did this for the lowest of the low infantrymen," says Sens, who won a Purple Heart fighting in Europe and Africa. "He did it for people like me."
KNOW A HERO? SEND SUGGESTIONS TO HEROESAMONUS@PEOPLEMAG.COM
March 27, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!