The chef and owner of the artisan cookie company Alchemy by Carla Hall whips up a special recipe for your holiday party
Makes about 4 dozen
4 tbsp. butter
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 large egg
½ cup sugar
¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ tsp. baking powder
½ cup mini chocolate chips
¼ cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Microwave butter and cocoa in a glass bowl on high for 45 seconds. Whisk mixture until smooth; set aside.
3. Whisk together egg, sugars, salt and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Gradually add egg mixture to chocolate mixture, whisking until well-blended.
4. Whisk flour and baking powder together in a small bowl. Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture until well-blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover and chill dough for 30 minutes or until dough is firm enough to handle easily.
5. Place powdered sugar in a shallow bowl. Scoop dough and form into ¾-in. balls; roll in powdered sugar. Arrange cookies on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes. Cool cookies 1 minute on baking sheet; transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
Mario Batali & Michael Symon's
Symon's sauce on top of Batali's patty makes a spicy, hearty entrée
MORTADELLA BURGER WITH SHASHA SAUCE Makes 4 burgers
12 jarred hot banana peppers
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup prepared mustard
1 cup white wine vinegar
½ cup sugar
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1½ lbs. lean ground beef
Salt and black pepper
4 ¼-in. slices mortadella
4 sesame seed hamburger buns
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
12 slices dill or sweet hot pickle
2 cups prepared coleslaw
1. Remove tops from peppers and chop. Combine peppers with garlic, mustard and vinegar in food processor bowl, and purée. Cook purée and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
2. Whisk together flour and ½ cup water until smooth. Whisk mixture into pepper mixture; cook until mixture thickens, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat; cool completely. Chill mixture, covered, in a nonreactive container (like a glass jar), up to 1 month.
1. Preheat grill to 350º to 400º.
2. Shape ground beef into 4 patties; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from grill; cover and keep warm.
3. Cook mortadella slices in nonstick skillet over medium heat 4 minutes, turning once. Remove from pan; cover and keep warm.
4. Toast buns with melted butter in batches, cut sides down, in nonstick skillet about 2 minutes or until golden.
5. Spread bottom halves of buns evenly with ShaSha sauce. Arrange mortadella, burgers, pickle slices and slaw evenly over buns. Top with remaining buns.
Daphne Oz & Clinton Kelly's
The chef and style guru team up to create a sparkling cocktail that's perfect for summer entertaining
GIN AND FENNEL GRAPEFRUIT FIZZ
Makes 1 serving
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp. fennel seed
1½ oz. gin
1. Cook sugar, 1 cup water and fennel seed in a small saucepan over medium heat until simmering; remove from heat and cool syrup to room temperature. Pour syrup through a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds; discard seeds and set syrup aside.
2. Pour gin and ½ oz. fennel syrup into an ice-filled 12-oz. glass. Top with a splash of grapefruit juice and club soda. Stir briefly.
Lauren Bush Lauren's
The tastemaker and FEED Projects founder shares her favorite gear for a patriotic party.
This "adorable and useful" platter comes with chalk to label whatever you're serving. Slate Cheese Board with Chalk, $26.95; slateplate.com
"This is lovely for refreshing drinks," says Lauren, "or as a vase."
White Italian Pitcher, $17.99; surlatable.com
"Old-fashioned straws always make guests smile," says Lauren.
Stripe Paper Straws, $5; layercakeshop.com
Ceramic baskets "look like berry boxes you'd find at a farmer's market!" Lauren says.
Roost Farmer's Market Baskets, $18-32; orangeandpear.com
The "perfectly worn and textured" tablecloth matches Lauren's down-home aesthetic.
Red Striped Tablecloth, $98; shopterrain.com
"These plates, cutlery and cups from my collection help feed Americans in need."
FEED USA + Target Tableware, $3-$5; target.com
Lauren's new FEED USA + Target collection is in Target stores June 30.
- CONTRIBUTORS Ana Calderone,
- Liza Hamm,
- Catherine Kast.