Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Little Girl with Tumor Has One Final Wish – to Dance with Taylor Swift
- The Style Top 5: Cara Delevingne Gets Handsy With Her BFFs, Kim Kardashian's Unique Way of Thanking Her Fans and More
- Sofia Vergara Sees You Staring at Joe Manganiello – and She Loves It
- William Shatner Can't Attend Leonard Nimoy's Funeral: 'I Feel Really Awful'
- 7 Times When Ashton Kutcher Was the Most Adorable Fiancé – and Dad – of All Time
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 24, 2013
- Vol. 79
- No. 25
Edward Snowden: Truth-Teller or Traitor?
The Computer Tech Could Face Life Behind Bars After Leaking Details About Controversial Surveillance Programs
In an act alternately regarded as traitorous or heroic, Snowden, who has worked for the National Security Agency and the CIA, released classified documents detailing two NSA surveillance programs authorized by Congress: one that gathers the phone records of hundreds of millions of Americans; another that monitors the Internet traffic of nine high-tech companies. "I can't in good conscience allow the U.S. government to destroy privacy, Internet freedom and basic liberties," Snowden told Britain's Guardian newspaper in outing himself as the leaker. As the Justice Department launched a criminal investigation, Snowden, now overseas in hiding, was seeking to avoid extradition to the U.S., where he could face life in prison. "I do not expect to see home again," he said.
For the last 13 months, home had been a house on Oahu, Hawaii, that he'd rented with his girlfriend, dancer Lindsay Mills. With her boyfriend's exact whereabouts unknown, "my world has opened and closed all at once," read a blog entry that appears to be by Mills dated June 10. "Leaving me lost at sea without a compass... At the moment all I can feel is alone." Neighbor Angel Cunanan says the couple never really unpacked, noting, "When the garage door opened, it was boxes everywhere." Now Snowden told the Guardian, "The only thing I fear is the harmful effects on my family." In Maryland his mother, Wendy, had a poignant response. "Last night," says Kinsey, "was the first time his mom ever drew her curtains."
- Reported by Susan Keating,
- Ken Lee.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!