Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Italy Earthquake: Girl, 10, Rescued From Rubble as Death Toll Rises to 247
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj to Perform at MTV VMAs – Kim Kardashian West to Present!
- FROM EW: Lifetime Is Making a Britney Spears Biopic
- Jenelle Evans Confirms She's Pregnant with Her Third Child – a Baby Girl!
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 05, 2013
- Vol. 80
- No. 6
Up in Smoke?
Seven Stolen Master-Works Worth Some $130 Million May Have Been Incinerated by a Mother Looking Out for Her Alleged-Art-Thief Son
Or, as art-security expert Anthony Amore put it, "a horrifying crime against culture." Incineration of such treasures is so unthinkable that officials initially didn't believe Dogaru—who reversed herself in a July 22 court appearance, insisting, "I did not burn them." But after forensic testing of the ashes by Romania's National History Museum, its director Ernest Oberlander-Tarnoveanu tells PEOPLE, "The evidence is clear." Experts saw traces of mineral pigments and blacksmith-forged nails consistent with those that would have been used by Monet or Gauguin. "It's beyond my imagination why someone would do this," he says. As one source close to the investigation ventures, "Mothers from Romania love their sons very much."
- With Peter Mikelbank/Paris,
- Maaike Ruepert/Amsterdam.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!