De Niro Scares Up Top Movie Hide and Seek
Robert De Niro
Pushing aside the Oscar nominees, the new fright flick Hide and Seek, starring Robert De Niro, took the top spot at the weekend box office with earnings of $22 million, according to industry estimates.
Last weekend's big movie, the road-trip comedy with Ice Cube, Are We There Yet?, slipped to second place with $17 million, while Clint Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby, with seven nominations (including Best Picture), performed the strongest among the Academy Award hopefuls, coming in at No. 3 thanks to its $11.8 million take after widening its release.
Martin Scorsese's The Aviator, which leads with 11 nominations, landed in the No. 6 position with $7.5 million, pushing its total to $68.2 million, the Associated Press reports.
After 15 weeks in limited release, Best Picture contender Sideways from director Alexander Payne finally made it into the Top 10, as No. 7. To date, the quirky comedy has made $40 million.
The weekend's only other new wide release, Alone in the Dark with Tara Reid and Christian Slater, bombed with a take of only $2.5 million.
The weekend's Top 10, according to studio estimates, were as follows:
1. Hide and Seek, $22 million
2. Are We There Yet?, $17 million
3. Million Dollar Baby, $11.8 million
4. Coach Carter, $8 million
5. Meet the Fockers, $7.6 million
6. The Aviator, $7.5 million
7. Sideways, $6.3 million
8. In Good Company, $6.2 million
9. Racing Stripes, $6 million
10. Assault on Precinct 13, $4.2 million
On Newsstands Now
- Lupita Nyong'o: Most Beautiful!
- Chelsea Clinton is Pregnant!
- Exclusive Royal Tour Diary
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine