Will Smith Hatches New Hit with Hitch
Will Smith's first romantic comedy, Hitch, proved a perfect Valentine for moviegoers this weekend, landing in the top spot on the box-office chart with an estimated $45.3-million take, according to studio estimates.
The movie, in which the action star plays against type and is a date doctor, was the fifth-straight No. 1 debut for Smith, following Shark Tale, I, Robot, Bad Boys II and Men in Black II – all of which opened in the $46 million to $52 million range, reports the Associated Press.
The previous weekend's No. 1 movie, the horror tale Boogeyman, fell to second place with $10.8 million, lifting its 10-day total to $33.3 million.
The weekend's other new wide release, the Disney animated family tale Pooh's Heffalump Movie, opened at No. 5 with $6 million.
In terms of Oscar contenders, Clint Eastwood's boxing drama Million Dollar Baby was No. 4 with $7.6 million, raising its total domestic gross to $45.1 million; Alexander Payne's Sideways made $4.75 million to finish eighth ($53.1 million in total); and Martin Scorsese's The Aviator placed ninth with $4.6 million (for $82.3 million to date).
This weekend's Top 10, according to studio estimates, were as follows:
1. Hitch, $45.3 million
2. Boogeyman, $10.8 million
3. Are We There Yet?, $8.5 million
4. Million Dollar Baby, $7.6 million
5. Pooh's Heffalump Movie, $6 million
6. The Wedding Date, $5.6 million
7. Hide and Seek, $5.55 million
8. Sideways, $4.75 million
9. The Aviator, $4.6 million
10. Meet the Fockers, $3.4 million
On Newsstands Now
- Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
- Emma and Andrew: All About Hollywood's Cutest Couple
- Prince George! More Yummy Photos
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine