Douglas M. Bovitt/AP Photo
Bill Cosby is off the hook after a woman alleged that he fondled her at his suburban Philadelphia mansion in January 2004 after drugging her, Montgomery County District Attorney Bruce L. Castor Jr. has announced, citing insufficient evidence.
The woman, a former Temple University employee who now lives in her native Ontario, told Canadian authorities last month that the entertainer, 67, had given her medication that made her dizzy, then fondled her.
Cosby, 67, a Temple alum, had denied the allegations. In a statement Thursday, his lawyer, Walter M. Phillips Jr., said Cosby was gratified by the decision and "looks forward to moving on with his life," reports the Associated Press.
Prosecutor Castor said that the accuser's yearlong delay in coming forward, and her contact with Cosby in the past year, weighed in the comedian's favor. As for other claims that have been made against Cosby alleging similar incidents of improper behavior, Castor said detectives could find no instance "where anyone complained to law enforcement of conduct which would constitute a criminal offense."
The woman's attorney considered the case against Cosby to be strong and criticized Castor for failing to notify her before announcing his decision. The woman is likely to sue Cosby in a civil suit, said attorney Dolores M. Troiani. "I think that's the only avenue open to her."