Kid Rock and Scott Stapp
CBS/Landov; Kevork Djansezian/AP
02/22/2006 AT 01:00 PM EST
Kid Rock has won his first fight in a battle over an explicit 1999 video that shows the rocker, as well as former Creed frontman Scott Stapp, engaging in sexual behavior with several women.
U.S. District Court Judge John Feikens signed a temporary order on Tuesday that stops David Joseph and World Wide Red Light District from posting a preview clip of the video on its Web sites, the Associated Press reports.
Kid Rock's lawyers sued Red Light – the same company that distributed the Paris Hilton sex video – accusing the firm of violating Rock's trademark and privacy rights. The lawsuit requests a permanent court order halting sale or distribution of the video.
"We don't deny the authenticity of the tape," Rock's lawyer, William Horton, told the Detroit Free Press. "But they're using this without his permission to drive the sales of their other products."
The video was shot in 1999 near Miami, according to an affidavit filed as part of the lawsuit. Clips of the video show Stapp and Kid Rock in a trailer with several women. Joseph has said the women were from a strip club.
The temporary order, which only covers a 40-second preview, will remain in effect until a court hearing Friday. The company removed the video from the Internet last week after receiving a cease-and-desist order from Stapp's lawyers.
Red Light lawyer Ray Tamaddon said he hadn't seen the lawsuit and couldn't comment directly on it, but he said he believes the company is within its legal rights. "These are public figures, and the standards are different," he said.
Kid Rock's lawyer, Michael Novak, however, said: "Even rock stars are entitled to privacy."