Kid Rock and Scott Stapp
CBS/Landov; Kevork Djansezian/AP
03/03/2006 at 08:00 AM EST
After Scott Stapp went on the record claiming that someone is out to get him with the release of an unauthorized sex tape featuring himself, Kid Rock and a bevy of strippers, Rock blasted Stapp in an interview, calling the former Creed frontman an "idiot," the Associated Press reports.
"He's the idiot because (the tape is) out," Rock said. "I'm holding him responsible."
The tape, which was shot in 1999 on Rock's tour bus, surfaced last month on a Web site for World Wide Red Light District, the company that marketed Paris Hilton's infamous 2004 sex video.
Rock and Stapp won a temporary court order halting the distribution and sale of the video, but not before snippets of the pair's escapades made it onto the Internet.
According to Rock, Stapp filmed the tape and was in possession of it, although Rock said he hadn't spoken to Stapp since the video was made. "At this point, I don't even care," Rock said, but then added: "If there's money to be made, it's my performance."
Stapp thought the tape's appearance was the result of someone conspiring against him. "Obviously someone wants to hurt me and doesn't want me to be successful in my solo career," the singer said.
But Rock greeted those words with derision. "This tape gets out – it's your tape – and you're (saying) someone's trying to sabotage your career?" he said.
The tape's arrival couldn't have come at a worse time for Stapp, who was arrested for public intoxication at Los Angeles International Airport on Feb. 11, a day after his wedding to former Miss New York Jaclyn Nesheiwat. Stapp will be arraigned on those charges on Wednesday.
As for Rock, he doesn't view the tape as damaging to his career at all. "It's not any big revelation that this goes on in rock 'n' roll, especially with who I am," he said. "I got a record coming up ... Maybe I should thank him."