Terrell Owens Says He Didn't Attempt Suicide

UPDATED 09/27/2006 at 03:55 PM EDT Originally published 09/27/2006 at 12:35 PM EDT

Terrell Owens Says He Didn't Attempt Suicide
Terrell Owens
James D. Smith/WireImage
Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens said Wednesday that he did not try to commit suicide by overdosing on pain medication, as had been reported earlier.

"There was no suicide attempt," the NFL star said before more than 100 reporters at Valley Ranch, the Dallas Cowboys' practice facility. "Rumors of me taking 35 pills are absurd."

Owens, who was hospitalized Tuesday night, said he'd had a bad reaction after mixing supplements with pain medication that he'd been taking for an injured hand. "I took some extra pills with my supplement," he said.

He said he'd been taking the pain medication hydrocodone; as for the supplements: "The list is too long to tell you everything I take."

Owens also denied a statement in the police report that he'd said he was depressed. "No, I'm not depressed by any means. I'm very happy to be here. I'm here to help the team get on a roll."

Asked if he planned to play in Sunday's game, Owens said he'd just finished working out, "so I feel very capable of going and playing Sunday."

Owens's publicist, Kim Etheredge, who was with him Tuesday night, said at the news conference that she'd called 911 when she noticed Owens was non-responsive to her questions.

"When I see a man of his stature not responding and I know he's not feeling well, I used my judgment to call 911," she said. "I did not say that Terrell was depressed. Terrell did not say he was depressed.

"Terrell has 25 million reasons that he should be alive," Etheredge concluded, referring to the three-year, $25 million contract that Owens signed with the Cowboys in March.

Earlier on Wednesday, Dallas-Ft. Worth TV station WFAA-TV obtained a police report stating that Owens had attempted to kill himself by overdosing on pain medication.

The police report said that paramedics asked Owens if he'd finished off a bottle of 35 pills, and he replied, "Yes." When asked if he was trying to harm himself, he said, "Yes."

Owens later said that he was not coherent and had only vague memories of the questions asked by doctors, paramedics and police officers on Tuesday night.

Earlier Wednesday, Dallas Police Lt. Rick Watson confirmed that officers had met paramedics at the location where Owens was being treated before he was taken to Baylor Medical Center. Police determined there were no criminal matters involved in the incident, Watson said.

"This is a high-profile person. We looked into it and we determined it is not a criminal offense," Watson said. "This a medical type of situation that occurred."

Your Reaction

Follow Us

On Newsstands Now

Inside Kate's Life as a Princess Mom
  • Inside Kate's Life as a Princess Mom
  • A Duggar Engaged
  • Amanda Bynes: The Truth About Her Condition

Pick up your copy on newsstands

Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine


From Our Partners

Watch It

Editors' Picks

From Our Partners

Sign up for our daily newsletter and other special offers.
    Choose your newsletters
Thank you for signing up! Your request may take up to one week to be processed.
    see all newsletters