Bob Woodruff to Tell His Story on TV
In a primetime special to air in spring 2007, the former World News anchor will tell the story of the Jan. 29 attack and his long road to recovery.
Woodruff will also report on efforts by military medical teams to save the lives of injured soldiers, and how those soldiers and their families cope.
In addition to the special, ABC says, Woodruff and his wife Lee have documented their experiences of the past year in a memoir to be published by Random House.
In the book, Lee, who has four children with Woodruff, writes about getting the news that her husband had been injured. "No one knows exactly just how they might or might not behave in a crisis until it drops out of the sky and knocks you down like a bandit, stealing your future," she writes, according to ABC. "Sudden tragic events … teach us more about ourselves than most of us ever cared to know."
A portion of the proceeds from the book will go to organizations helping members of the armed forces recovering from traumatic brain injuries.
Woodruff, 45, had been named coanchor – with Elizabeth Vargas – of World News just a few weeks before a bomb went off near the convoy with which he was traveling in Iraq, injuring him and cameraman Doug Vogt.
He was forced to step down from his World News post and, after months of in-patient treatment, finally went home in April, although he told his colleagues at ABC he knew he faced "a long road ahead."