O.J. Simpson Book, Interview Canceled

11/20/2006 at 04:55 PM EST

O.J. Simpson Book, Interview Canceled
O.J. Simpson
Michael Yarish/FOX
Following protests from the victims' families and some network affiliates, a book and TV interview documenting O.J. Simpson's hypothetical take on how he would have killed his ex-wife and her friend have been canceled.

HarperCollins, through its ReganBooks imprint, had been set to release If I Did It on Nov. 30, and a two-part interview with Simpson was due to air on the FOX network on Nov. 27 and 29. Both HarperCollins and FOX are owned by News Corp.

"I and senior management agree with the American public that this was an ill-considered project," News Corp. chairman Rupert Murdoch said Monday. "We are sorry for any pain that this has caused the families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson."

The book was reportedly sold for $3.5 million, although publisher Judith Regan has said she was told the money would not go to Simpson. "What I do know is I didn't pay him," she said in a statement last week. "I contracted through a third party who owns the rights, and I was told the money would go to his children."

Simpson was acquitted of the double murder in 1995, but found liable for the deaths in civil court two years later. He still owes the victims' families more than $33.5 million in damages.

Your Reaction

Follow Us

On Newsstands Now

Inside Kate's Life as a Princess Mom
  • Inside Kate's Life as a Princess Mom
  • A Duggar Engaged
  • Amanda Bynes: The Truth About Her Condition

Pick up your copy on newsstands

Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine

Advertisement

From Our Partners

Watch It

Editors' Picks

From Our Partners



Sign up for our daily newsletter and other special offers.
    Choose your newsletters
Thank you for signing up! Your request may take up to one week to be processed.
    see all newsletters