Dethroned Miss Nevada USA: 'I Am So Sorry'
12/23/2006 AT 01:30 PM EST
In a press conference held Saturday in Clearwater Beach, Fla., Rees, 22, said, "These images were from an isolated incident during my teenage years, long before my consideration to compete in the Miss USA program. While I take full responsibility for the photographs...This incident does not reflect who I am or who I plan to be. I am so sorry this happened."
Rees went on to say she hopes her experience will serve as a cautionary tale to other young women. "Please don't let your guard down when it comes to being photographed," she said. "As you can see, just one mistake can have great consequences."
Like current Miss USA Tara Conner, who was nearly removed from her crown earlier this week, Rees is hoping for a second chance.
Her attorney, Mario Torres, tells PEOPLE that they have contacted the Trump Organization (Donald Trump co-owns the Miss Universe Organization with NBC) to request that Rees be reinstated as Miss Nevada USA.
"We are still waiting to hear back from them," says Torres. "They have not yet responded."
Rees wasstripped of her title Thursday after the photos of her taken when she was 19 surfaced on the Internet. She was replaced by first runner-up Helen Salas.