Sean 'Diddy' Combs Denies Assault Claim
Sean "Diddy" Combs
Sean "Diddy" Combs is denying that he assaulted a man in February.
The alleged victim, Gerard Rechnitzer, filed a lawsuit on Friday claiming that Diddy punched him outside the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel on Feb. 25. He is seeking an undisclosed amount exceeding $25,000.
Diddy's attorney, Benjamin Brafman, tells PEOPLE: "Mr. Combs did not hit anyone and Mr. Rechnitzer suffered no injuries or damages whatsoever. This case is completely baseless. It is just another example of an opportunist seeking to fabricate a lawsuit based on a flat-out lie."
According to the lawsuit, Rechnitzer, 27, a real estate agent, left a hotel restroom at about 2 a.m. to join his girlfriend, who was waiting for him in the valet area. The couple had been partying at Teddy's, a popular nightspot in the hotel.
Once outside, Rechnitzer saw his girlfriend and Diddy chatting, surrounded by a number of the artist's bodyguards, according to court documents. When Rechnitzer called to his girlfriend, Combs allegedly said, "What the f--- you looking at, dude? I'll smack flames out your ass."
At that point, Diddy, 37, allegedly punched Rechnitzer on the right side of the face, according to an LAPD investigative report. The lawsuit contends that Rechnitzer fell backward several feet, hitting a car behind him.
Diddy then allegedly fled the scene with his entourage.
An LAPD spokesperson says an investigation is still pending, which involves interviewing numerous witnesses. No criminal charges have been filed.