12/18/2006 at 01:00 AM EST
Tis the season—for piling on those partying pounds. Think you know how to avoid it? Mehmet C. Oz and Michael F. Roizen, the MD authors of You on a Diet, have some not-so-obvious tips.
• Gobble white-meat turkey It contains tryptophan, which increases serotonin to improve mood and help you resist cravings for simple carbs.
• Make beer your cocktail The bitter compounds in hops seem to activate agents that make your metabolism more efficient.
• Try scenting your home with grapefruit oil before entertaining Preliminary studies suggest the scent alone reduces appetite.
• Eat nuts half an hour before a party They cut your appetite.
• Use a breath mint strip before you eat It will dull your taste buds and make you a more popular guest.