Picks and Pans Review: Alain De Botton The Architecture of Happiness
1. WE'RE DRAWN TO STRUCTURES THE WAY WE FALL IN LOVE WITH PEOPLE We look for something to supply what we don't have enough of or have been denied: In Moscow, the newly rich live in apartments that are all tiger skin and marble and chandeliers.
2. AUTHENTICITY = PLEASURE One of the great aspects of travel is realizing that everything, including road signs and light switches, is different. I get very depressed when I'm forced to stay in a hotel room that could be absolutely anywhere. I've often just huddled in a corner in an armchair and pretended it wasn't happening.
3. FAKERY IS FRIGHTENING A city like Las Vegas is eerie because it doesn't seem to have any local identity. Staying there is like spending time with someone who makes jokes constantly; it's fun for a while but then you find yourself wanting to kill them.
4. BROWSE INTERIOR DECORATING MAGAZINES WITH CARE Photos of someone in a beautiful home are like invitations to a happiness from which you might be barred. You don't remember at that moment that the person is going to die like you are.
On Newsstands Now
- Brad's Devotion: The Inside Story
- Oklahoma Tornado: Heroic Rescues
- Michael Douglas on Catherine's Health
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine