Picks and Pans Review: Lathrop C. Harper, Inc.
updated 11/09/1981 AT 01:00 AM EST
•originally published 11/09/1981 AT 01:00 AM EST
Francis P. Harper established his store, the oldest antiquarian book shop in the U.S., in 1881. After he retired in 1910, his younger brother, Lathrop C, succeeded him, changing the company's name to his own. The firm now is owned by three businessmen and deals mainly in volumes published before 1800. Its specialty: medieval and Renaissance manuscripts.