Diana, Princess of Wales
Thank you for your article "The Pregnant Princess" (PEOPLE, Nov. 23). It provided an insightful look into past and present royal children. It's good to know that someone still prints good news about happy people.
I have not yet read your article on the Blessed Event about to befall our Royal Couple, and I am so offended I may not read it. Having participated in hundreds of births as a physician, I am no stranger to the word "pregnant," but as a reader I feel a more delicate word should fit the condition of the mother-to-be-who-will-be-Queen.
Thomas R. Graves Jr., M.D.
La Jolla, Calif.
Maybe the pretty, pregnant Princess is "happy," as you say. Maybe not. Romance certainly goes out the window when morning sickness begins and your flat, young tummy suddenly grows bigger and bigger. Let's face it, the royal honeymoon is over.
Nothing Nancy Reagan does suits the American public. I agree that she spends far too much on clothing and luxuries for the White House while social programs are facing massive budget cuts. But to be fair we ought to ask: What is Nancy doing that Princess Di is not? Every photo of the Princess shows her in another expensive new outfit. Her hat in the cover photo probably cost more than many of us spend on food in a month. I do not understand people's fascination with her when they don't think twice about belittling Nancy Reagan. They seem like very similar women to me.
I was extremely disappointed in your article "The Pregnant Princess." What should have been an informative, interesting story turned out to be a distasteful exposé filled with speculation and bold presumptions. I was amazed that you would state that Diana was feeling "queasy" at a museum opening even before the actual announcement was made. To me, she looked bored, not ill. Theorizing about the moment of conception was a classic example of sensational journalism. What does it matter whether the child was conceived on a yacht or during a moonlit stroll at the royal estate? This was a private moment between a husband and wife, and frankly it is none of our business.
Melissa A. Spinale
I can't tell you how nice it was to see Jim Brady in your latest issue. I have followed his recovery every step of the way and am pleased that he is doing so well. I hope you will continue to report on the progress he is making.
Sun Valley, Calif.
Evidently the reviewer of Bowie: An Illustrated Record merely looked at the pictures. If he had bothered to do some actual reading, as I did, he might have discovered what an incredibly talented, complex and innovative man Bowie is. His hang-up about Bowie's sexual preference simply shows that your critic is just one more individual who has yet to come to terms with modern times. It's 1981: Do you know what your children are?
Paul Williams' tall tales went over my head. At the age of 23 and 4'6", I sometimes think I live in a world of belt buckles and boobs. But what we must all remember is that dynamite comes in small packages.
The Mamas and the Papas
Trying to replace Cass Elliot in the Mamas and the Papas is like trying to replace John Lennon in the Beatles.
Samuel J. Chiodo
Screen Actors Guild
If 80 percent of the Screen Actors Guild members earn less than $10,000 a year, perhaps the remaining 20 percent should work for a few dollars less per movie. Then the savings to the studios could be passed along to the other actors.
Grand Rapids, Mich.
What a joy to read an article on someone in the public eye who isn't afraid to admit to the very human mistakes and feelings that even we common folks experience. Unlike the self-righteous types who may quit buying his records after reading about him, I will forever admire Merle Haggard as a star, but most of all as a man.
Monterey Park, Calif.
I can't keep quiet about this. In reference to the article on Richard Simmons, June M. Bailey wrote that she would rather be fat, happy and healthy. That's wonderful, Ms. Bailey. I assume you mean mentally healthy—because physical health is impossible. You and millions of other Americans who use this rationale to assuage your guilt over eating too many quarts of Rocky Road ice cream will be jolly and well adjusted all the way to heart disease, diabetes and kidney dysfunction.
Don't make excuses. Don't put down those of us who care enough about our bodies to treat them right. Don't discredit a man who has achieved what you haven't.
If you print the Los Angelenos' joke about New Yorkers, it seems only fair to print the New Yorkers' rejoinder. Question: How many Los Angelenos does it take to screw in a light bulb? Answer: One to screw it in and three to "share in the experience."
On Newsstands Now
- Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
- Emma and Andrew: All About Hollywood's Cutest Couple
- Prince George! More Yummy Photos
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine