The Force Is with Rusty Miller, Self-Proclaimed Star Wars Expert and Hot-Shot Author
Not so long ago, from the galaxy of Satellite Beach, Fla., there came an 80-pound Jedi author, 13-year-old Rusty Miller, he of the red hair, freckles and braces. Rusty compiled a collection of 425 trivia questions and answers about Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back called The Jedi Master's Quizbook (Del Rey, $1.95). Since its release last November the book has sold more than 485,000 copies, earning the young literary master $5,000 and several airwave appearances. Together, he and NBC's Princess Jane Pauley covered the space shuttle launching last October for the Today show. And with the wisdom of Yoda, Rusty explains high tech to little folk on two upcoming syndicated PM Magazine shows.
Yes, the light saber of fame and fortune has been passed to this seventh-grade student. It first glimmered in a Florida bookstore three years ago when Rusty flipped through a J.R.R. (Lord of the Rings) Tolkien quizbook. "I don't know what came over me," he says, "but I knew I could do something just as good." Having seen Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back six times each, Rusty sprawled on the living room floor each night for five months and devised questions with the help of his huge collection of film memorabilia.
Rusty then wrote to Random House's sci-fi division, Del Rey: "I am 11 years old and thus far unpublished...." The publisher, Judy Lynn del Rey, was intrigued by the letter but feared George Lucas' copyright people would vaporize the project. Soon, however, Betamaxes were humming as the staff of Lucasfilm tried to answer the questions posed by the young knight. Enthralled, they granted him permission to publish and worked out a royalty deal.
With the release of Return of the Jedi, PEOPLE took the liberty of consulting the trusty author, who has already seen the new film three times. The obliging lad took time off from his final exams to cook up 16 diabolical questions. Get 10 or more right (answers on page 4) and you might just be Jedi material yourself.
Okay, Jedi masters. How much do you really know?
1. Who is Lando's co-pilot (right) in the raid on the new Death Star?
2. What is the name of the little fellow with the loud laugh who sits next to Jabba the Hutt?
3. What part of C-3PO does Salacious Crumb attempt to remove?
4. Who frees Han Solo (above right) from the Carbonite?
5. Who is the supreme leader of the Rebel Alliance?
6. Who finds Princess Leia (above left) after she kills Jabba the Hutt?
7. How do Ewoks (like the one above, with R2-D2) prefer to arm themselves?
8. Which Ewok finds Princess Leia after her speeder bike is destroyed?
9. In the battle over the Sarlacc pit, who throws the light saber to Luke (right)?
10. Name two members of Jabba the Hutt's palace band.
11. What color is Luke's Jedi Knight uniform?
12. Who is Jabba the Hutt's majordomo?
13. What are Jabba the Hutt's guards (below) called?
14. What disguise does Lando Calrissian wear at the beginning of the movie?
15. Who is the commander of the new Death Star?
16. What was Luke's father's real name?
On Newsstands Now
- Amy Robach: 'I'm Lucky to Be Alive'
- Paul Walker: Inside His Tragic Death
- Julia Roberts: Choosing Family Over Hollywood
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine