Picks and Pans Review: And More...
>ABC NEWS CLOSEUP: THE FIRE UNLEASHED ABC (Thursday, June 6, 8 p.m. ET)
Try to get past the first few minutes of ABC's nuclear extravaganza. In the rough cut provided for previewing, it radiated purple prose: "The unleashed power of the atom has changed everything, save our mode of thinking...." We don't need ABC to review the history of man and the world, but what follows is a compelling look at the many fine messes we've gotten ourselves into with nukes, from Hiroshima to nuclear waste. The special uses TV well—with graphics, animation and film—to show, for example, how technical blunders by the U.S. nuclear-power industry have caused it to lag behind that of some other countries. The show's animated portrait of Star Wars (otherwise known as the Strategic Defense Initiative) is utterly damning, making it look like something that would have seemed farfetched even in the George Lucas movie of the same name. Star Wars would not defend against cruise or sub-launched missiles, the show concludes; and if it were 90 percent effective defending the U.S. against an ICBM attack, the other 10 percent would kill 40 to 50 million people in 30 minutes. The issues the show presents are difficult ones, and The Fire Unleashed presents its case clearly, without flinching. The show does not, however, offer any solutions.
TINA TURNER PRIVATE DANCER HBO (Saturday, June 8, 8 p.m. ET)
The tremendous Miss T in concert, filmed last March in England.
THE KRAFT ALL STAR SALUTE TO THE FORD'S THEATRE CBS (Wednesday, June 12, 8 p.m. ET)
John Forsythe and Linda Evans host a benefit for the Washington, D.C. stage. Among the guests are Patti LaBelle and Ricardo Montalban.
On Newsstands Now
- George Turns 1: Raising a Little Prince!
- Ryan and Eva: How They Hid Her Pregnancy
- Jillian Michaels: Why I Left Biggest Loser
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine