The Insider

updated 04/02/1990 at 01:00 AM EDT

originally published 04/02/1990 01:00AM

APPRECIATING DONALD

Surprise, surprise. The original March 1977 prenuptial agreement signed by both Donald and Ivana Trump three weeks before their marriage was drafted for Donald by the malevolent Roy Cohn and reviewed by a second lawyer representing Ivana. Now legal sources tell us that the prenuptial agreement may not be clear on who is entitled to the substantial appreciation the Trumps' marital property has undergone in the past 13 years.

In an attempt to get a clarification, The Insider tried to contact Cohn's former associate, New York attorney Thomas Bolan of Saxe, Bacon & Bolan. He passed the inquiry on to Donald's office, and Donald's present attorney, Jay Goldberg, returned the call. Goldberg stated flatly that the Dec. 24, 1987, prenuptial agreement update, signed the year after Cohn's death, "shall supersede and replace any earlier agreement." Goldberg says Ivana is not entitled to any appreciation on marital property because in the 1987 agreement she "waived her right to equitable distribution." He adds, "She's trying to knock down a steel door with a feather."

MARILYN'S LEGACY

On March 12, some 27 years after her death, a New York court upheld Marilyn Monroe's will. Her will called for 75 percent of her residuary estate—or whatever was left over after specific bequests—to go to her acting teacher, Lee Strasberg, and the remaining 25 percent to go to her psychiatrist, Dr. Marianne Kris. Neither Strasberg nor Kris is alive, but Marilyn's estate (which pulls in $1 million-plus annually) continues to go to their designated beneficiaries—Strasberg's share to his widow, Anna, and Kris's to the Anna Freud Centre, a psychiatric clinic in London.

Legal wrangling between the beneficiaries began last year when Strasberg says the Centre attempted to commercialize the Monroe estate. Strasberg vetoed marketing ideas she considered distasteful, such as Marilyn hairbrushes, skin lotion and toilet paper. Strasberg, who continues to run her husband's acting schools in New York City, Los Angeles and London, says, "Marilyn had integrity, and I wouldn't want it compromised for the sake of making money."

VIDEO VERITE
Comedian Sam Kinison, 35, called on some friends when he videotaped "Under My Thumb," his remake of the classic 1966 Rolling Stones song and the first single from his new LP, Leader of the Banned. Set in a courtroom, the forthcoming video features Ozzy Osbourne as the judge and Paul Williams as the defense attorney. Actor Corey Feldman, 18, was to have played the defendant, but he bailed out after it was apparent that the video shoot would coincide with his real-life arraignment in Los Angeles for possession of heroin. "Truth is stranger than fiction," says Kinison.

GERALDO GETS THE BUGS
Geraldo Rivera may want to clean up his image, but this is ridiculous. The controversial syndicated talk show host will appear as himself in a CBS special celebrating Bugs Bunny's 50th birthday, set to air in May. During a sequence of "anvil shots," where characters, including Bugs, are flattened by an anvil, Geraldo, 46, appears on his talk show set. Behind him are three guest chairs, each with an anvil on top of a crushed hat and pair of shoes. He says, "Anvil accidents. Or are they? Today on Geraldo."

Share this story:

Your reaction:

advertisement

From Our Partners

From Our Partners