11/05/2007 at 01:00 PM EST
After his bid to be included on the presidential primary ballot in his native South Carolina was blocked last week,
a "shocked and saddened” Stephen Colbert has vowed to fight on – after he stops crying.
"I want say to my supporters, this is not over," Colbert proclaimed in a statement released Monday. "While I may accept the decision of the Council, the fight goes on! The dream endures! ... And I am going off the air until I can talk about this without weeping."The Colbert Report
has indeed ceased production, but it's more likely due to the Writers Guild of America strike that hit Hollywood Monday.
Colbert was denied by his own chosen party: CNN reports that the South Carolina Democratic Executive Council's 13-to-3 vote kept him off their presidential primary ballot in what the candidate insists was a very tight decision. But he does not plan to launch a polarizing protest.
"Although I lost by the slimmest margin in presidential election history – only 10 votes – I have chosen not to put the country through another agonizing Supreme Court battle," the 43-year-old TV host said. "It is time for this nation to heal."
Colbert's campaign forked over the requisite $2,500 filing fee just before the noon deadline Thursday, state Democratic Party chairwoman Carol Fowler told the Associated Press.
The comedian, who poses as a conservative political pundit on his satirical TV show, previously said he would not file for the Republican party ballot because of the required $35,000 fee that would entail – thus effectively ending his chances in South Carolina.
When he announced his candidacy on his show last month, he said he would run only in this key primary state.