Sean "Diddy" Combs will not be charged as a result of an altercation at a New York City nightclub, prosecutors said Tuesday.
"I've been informed by the Manhattan District Attorney's office that after a thorough investigation, they have made a decision not to authorize any arrests in connection with the incident involving Mr. Combs and Steven Acevado on October 13," Combs's attorney Benjamin Brafman said in a statement.
According to the Associated Press, the Manhattan DA's office said the accuser stopped cooperating with law enforcement and varied his version of the incident. Therefore prosecutors weren't able to prove criminal charges beyond a reasonable doubt.
"I want to commend the DA's office and the New York City Police Department for conducting a thorough and very fair investigation into this incident and not allowing this private disagreement between two acquaintances to turn into a criminal charge," Brafman said.
Combs, who turned 38 on Sunday, got into a shouting match
with Acevedo, 31, at the New York City night spot Kiosk on Oct. 13. He allegedly punched Acevedo twice and knocked him to the ground, according to the local press reports.
Combs later admitted to getting into an argument but denied
that he had assaulted anyone. "It was something that was just totally overblown ... I don't fight over girls!" he said.
He told Access Hollywood
: "I got into an argument, I am a human being. I am going to get into an argument. I am making no denial about that, but I did not punch anybody."
Last month, a source told PEOPLE that Combs and Acevedo have known each other for more than a decade, and said reports that the argument was over a woman were untrue.