Ashley Tisdale's Candy-Cane Sugar Cookies
Makes 30 to 40 Cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 cup butter (not margarine)
1½ cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Red food coloring
1. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at low speed, increasing speed until light and fluffy. Then reduce speed to low and beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture until blended.
3. Divide dough in half. Shape one half into two equal balls. Mix a few drops of red food coloring into remaining dough. Shape that into two equal balls. Wrap the four balls separately and freeze until firm.
4. Preheat oven to 350ºF. On a lightly floured surface take small chunks of the red dough and roll into long strings. Do the same with the plain-colored dough, then take strings of each color, twist them together and shape in the form of a candy cane.
5. Place dough on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool. Lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar.
On Newsstands Now
- Amy Robach: 'I'm Lucky to Be Alive'
- Paul Walker: Inside His Tragic Death
- Julia Roberts: Choosing Family Over Hollywood
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine